question on electrical service panel upgrade

I'm looking at upgrading my main service to 200A. I've got underground service, and the existing service and meter base are rated for 200A.

However, the existing panel is mounted such that the highest breaker is about 15" higher than current code allows.

Does anyone know how this is usually handled? Can I get grandfathered in? I'm not sure how one would even go about lowering the panel given that the wire for the existing circuits generally comes down from above and is cut to fit the current height.

I'll be asking the local inspector, but they're closed today.

Thanks,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

You install a good sized pull box above the new panel, at a suitable height so the existing circuit wires will all comfortably reach inside the pull box. You connect the pull box to the panel below with relatively large conduit or conduits as appropriate. Inside the pull box you pigtail all the existing circuits onto new wire from the new panel below.

I've worked on several upgrades that were done this way and all were passed by the inspectors with rave reviews.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I think you'll have to put a junction box where the current panel is and splice onto the wires. (Exception #5 in section 230-46.) Connect the new panel to the J-box with a 2" metal conduit.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

If you live in New Jersey you would be covered under the Rehab Code, and it would be OK to keep it at the 6'6" plus 15". The other solution is to put the main breaker on the bottom of the panel. This is why panels come with field installable labels.

zxcvbob wrote:

Reply to
chuckster

I'm in Canada. According to the simplified code book, the "highest breaker" (not the main breaker) must be no higher than 67" from the floor.

The main breaker on the existing panel is at 82".

Guess I find out tomorrow what the inspector wants.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

If the new panel is installed upside down (which is frequently permissible), you _might_ be able to get away with just extending the service feed through a box of the appropriate side.

As you're only upgrading the panel, you might just get lucky with the inspector.

If you have to splice circuits, you'll also need the inspector to tell you what's acceptable - multiple J boxes, or common, whether you need conduit etc.

Reply to
Chris Lewis