Electrical help. (Adding outlet to light switch box)

Page 4 of 4
I will do this. Is this a legal way to wire it this way? (Where the outlet looses power if the light bulb is removed?)
On Monday, March 25, 2013 7:34:48 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

fan,light and one for the vanity light. Each switch has a white wire, a bla ck wire, and a ground. When checking with a voltmeter, the white wire on bo th switches always has power. Each black wire only has power when the switc h is turned on. I am assuming the white wire is the power wire. Can I take these white wires off the switches, connect them to the top and bottom "hot " terminal on the gfi outlet, then feed the switches from both terminals on the other side of the gfi? When I did this messing around with the switche s, everything worked properly. I just thought that the black wire was alway s the constant power wire.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

This is neither legal nor safe.
Stop what you're doing, and hire an electrician.
On 03/25/2013 02:49 PM, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Short answer, no.
Long answer, no, because you have no idea what the voltage across any load plugged into the recep will be because of the light bulb(s) in series with the neutral, which will drop the voltage some amount below nominal, that amount being dependent on the load connected to the recep and the wattage/resistance of the light bulb. A recep should always have full 120V at all times, that is, the wires go straight to the breaker or fuse box with no interruptions (other than splices.)
There are times when you might want to use a light bulb in series with a load (e.g. powering up an old tube radio for the first time) but residential wiring is not one of them.
As I said in a previous post, "doing it right" is likely going to involve a 12/2 homerun to the panel and a new 20A breaker.
good luck
nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.