Electric space heater repair question

Page 2 of 3
On 11/23/2014 5:36 PM, philo wrote:

Oh, man. I've got Billy Mays commercials echoing through my head. And what would you pay for this!
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/23/2014 3:36 PM, philo wrote:

I got some rechargeable AA's from China a few yrs ago and they didn't turn out too be much good.
DaveT wrote:

Hi, I got some AA Lithium batteries from China, they were worse than Duracell Alkaline ones and leaked too. I threw them out some unused.
On 11/23/2014 9:12 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

The chinese AA rechargeables I got would last roughly 1/2 the time that regular US name brands would run, before needing recharge.
Let's hope they're using the same standards in the navy and air force they're building.
On 11/23/2014 11:35 PM, DaveT wrote:

I stupidly bought some stupid AA Nimh cells off Stupid Ebay. They would not hold a charge, and didn't last any where near the claimed value.
Some day I'll check the packages of the Rayovac and Energizer NiMH cells, they are probably stupidly made in China. I've heard Hong Kong is far better quality.
Japan made was supposed to be good, before the tsunami damaged their island.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 11/23/2014 10:10 PM, DaveT wrote:

The batteries I bought are fine...though certainly China does make a lot of junk.

Did the same thing myself years ago. They do make nickel high temperature connectors that will stand the heat. Just did not have one at the time.
On 11/23/2014 02:36 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

Thanks for the info.
Heck I've used butt connectors for over 40 years and never thought to look into one designed for hi-temp. It seems obvious now that when the devices are made, that's what's used.
On 11/23/2014 4:20 PM, philo wrote:

Having made the connection, you are now the butt of our ridicule. Turn up the temp!
DaveT wrote:

I'd just buy another one. Repair may work for a while but will fail again.

Maybe you should read more carefully. I didn't say it was not worthwhile to *ask* about repairing it -- I said it's not worthwhile to spend much time repairing something that can be replaced so cheaply.

So is responding to things that nobody ever said.
On 11/23/2014 7:42 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

If a usable connector was easily available, it wouldn't take an hour to squeeze it on. People repair things all the time that don't cost much, if the parts are available and it's easy to do.
*That's* what I was asking about.

overheat, burning off the wire. Otherwise it was mechanical damage to the wire at the crimp - with the same result (high resistance) exacerbated by the wire being thinner (less thermal mass) at the point of damage. In the past I've repaired situations like that with a small split-bolt type connector (burndy) but the repair usually needs to be repeated again a year or so later.
The big problem is the $25 heaters are really $5 Chinese heaters that someone made $$10 on after paying $10 to ship it over from China. We bought 4 or 5 of the "oil filled" electric radiators a few montha ago from Canadian tire and one by one the switches are melting down on them. Otherwize they don't appear to be too bad quality, but you can't buy the replacement switch. (I imagine I could import them 20 at a time from China - but why bother?) They failed under warranty so were returned for a refund applied to slightly better quality $39 Sunbeam radiant heaters - We will see haw well they last. (I have one that is at least 10 years old - also made in China - that still works)
On 11/23/2014 8:17 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Good luck with the new ones.     This heater lasted 4.5 yrs, so I can't complain - I just get a kick out of repairing things when I can - it gives me the illusion that I'm beating the "sell crap that fails so the consumer has to buy a new one" system.

On 11/23/2014 10:42 PM, DaveT wrote:

I bet that I easily repair 80% of the "junk" my neighbors toss out. Chairs, fans, lamps you name it.
A few times I've seen a neighbor throw something out and I repair it and mysteriously return it to their yard.
On 11/24/2014 6:39 AM, philo wrote:

"What is that! I threw it out. Back in the trash with you."
On 11/24/2014 4:39 AM, philo wrote:

Emperor Vespasian: a day without doing someone a favor, is a day wasted. (That's at least close.)

I have had some good success with types of screw down clamps. Some copper. With some mass it will not get real hot at that spot, but you don't want something flopping around. I find failed crimp on connections on appliances when the connection gets too hot. It's a chore to fix but I get it working.
Greg
On Sun, 23 Nov 2014 20:32:43 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

for an outlay of less than 5 bucks and half an hour of "tinker time"? Sure, I've wasted a lot of that "tinker time" and numerous outlays of $5 on repairs that failed - but also many times the repaired item goes on to outlast what I would have replaced it with (if I manage to repair the deficiency by making it what it should have been in the first place.
First rule of buying Chinese - consider it to be a "semi-assembled" kit.

together Didn't last more than a couple months - adter which I repaired it with the "burndy" type split bolt connector - which lasted several more years till the rest of the drier wore out. It wasn't made by Burndy - I think it was made for hight-tensile electric fence wire or something - having trouble finding the exact unit on-line - but easy to make with a stainless steel bolt and nut and 2 washers.