Electric Range Problem


Hello,
Earlier today my wife turned on element <3> (ie. closest, on the left), and heard a pop on element <2> (ie. furthest on the right) with a flash of light. Next, she turned off element <3> and waited 30 seconds and turned on element <3> again, and after about 5 seconds she heard a pop on element <3>. Note, element <2> and element <3> are both the larger elements.
<1> <2> <3> <4> Has anyone seen this type of problem before? I suspect the element <3> needs to be replaced.
We have a Kenmore electric range.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, NQ
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
May be an element problem, but more likely some bad wiring or connection feeding the elements

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RBM (remove this) wrote:

associated wiring. Similarly the 'right' elements are on their two fuses and wiring. The fault description suggests that there may be wiring problems associated with the two left hand elements. Since stove wiring etc. probabaly uses heat resistant wiring and the proper type of connections, if you are not experienced, have the right tools etc. get someone to do the repairs. No matter if you are in North America or Europe you are probably dealing with 230 volts at amperages up to 6 or 7 amps, per element; with electrical connections in close proximity to the hot elements. There may be a wiring diagram on the back of the metal cover back of the stove; but the circuitry, with exception of anything controlled by the clock/timer (not usually the case with top elements) is pretty straightforward and (using the right materials) fairly easily repaired. Some disassembly is normally required.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Some older ranges have a problem where the insulation on the wiring shrinks back exposing bare wires. Then the wires touch and "pop" or a breaker trips.
You can have your range re-wired if this is the problem. Don't use it or touch it until someone looks at it. Might want to turn off the breaker to be safe.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
The wires that feed the elements have connectors on them that oxidize and arc across a high resistance. Everybody shoulkd have a wife who can wear out a stove:) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Looks like element is going. If you look at it when dark you can see spark at the point of breakage on the element. Replacment element can be had from place like HD.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Your best bet is to take your problem to repairclinic.com. They have the parts, instructions, expertise. Top notch service for the amateur. HTH
Joe
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Site Timeline

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.