ELECTRIC boxes

I've got a small shed out back.
There's a blue plastic box with a double outlet nailed to the truss.
I'd like to switch to a chain-pull screw-in lightbulb.
It occurs to me, I've never seen a lightbulb adaptor in a square box. Must I switch to an octagon/metal box ?
<rj>
If the blue box is a four inch square, you can get a three inch round reducing cover to screw onto it, which will accept the pull chain fixture. If it's not, just change the box

Is this the only power in the shed? If so, maybe you could run length of romex from the existing box to a new box for the light. That way you'd have an outlet *and* a light.
Of course, that's after you pull a permit, hire an architect to plan the location for the new box, a lighting consultant to ensure the proper fixture/bulb for both task and ambiance considerations and a licensed master electrician to install the box and bring the rest of the electric to the shed up to code. Oh yeah, have a framing crew on retainer in case the building inspector decides the existing truss can't handle the additional load of the fixture.
<RJ> wrote:

I would say you are bitter. But alas it is only experience with the system speaking.
Colbyt

And dont forget to get permission from the POPE......
Yeah, I'd keep the outlet and put a light a foot or so away, and use a plastic or metal octogon box.

Have a qualified electrican just run a feed to new round boxes, so you don't loose anything, but gain light.
Just thinking out loud.....
tom @ www.FreeWorkAtHomeIdeas.com