Ebay LED bulb follow up report

Item number: 320743410648

They were just a bit over two bucks each. 38 LED, flood light style. So, I bought a couple of them. Not all that expensive. Turns out they are blue light. Not as blue as the cob lights I bought earlier, but definitely blue. And not very bright.

A 11 watt CF curly cue bulb is brighter. And, the CF have a lot whiter light output.

My choices include to use them for night lights. Or, rig four of five sockets over the sink, and use them as sink light. Or put them in odd sockets around the house, use them for low level lighting. Pitch em in the trash. Give them away for presents when people are obliged to say thank you. I dunno. It was a learning moment. Waste of money, I guess.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

LED lights are known to be less bright than CFs. You can read this all over the net. Also what you bought was under 2 watts so I wouldn't expect it to be too bright. The only thing that would upset me is that they said it was a clear light and you said it was blue light so not clear.

Reply to
Doug

I was looking at other items.cheap!!!

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I was disappointed, the cool white turned out to be blue.

.

LED lights are known to be less bright than CFs. You can read this all over the net. Also what you bought was under 2 watts so I wouldn't expect it to be too bright. The only thing that would upset me is that they said it was a clear light and you said it was blue light so not clear.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What did you find? Anything good, you can reccomend?

.

I was looking at other items.cheap!!!

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How about a tv remote for your keychain ??

Greg

Reply to
gregz

There was stuff, like a mp3 with fm adaptor for cheap. Different indoor and outdoor lamps and floods.

Saying white light means nothing. It's either warm, cool, or icy cool. Really need degrees.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Any bulb marked "cool white" will look blue if the manufacturer follows the practices started with the introduction of fluorescent lamps in the 1940s. For the folks who like numbers, thats 4100 Kelvins. Some people used to describe it as "cloudy sky". Anything marked "daylight" is probably even bluer (5000 Kelvins or more). To get a warm light, like incandescent, use one marked "warm white" or with a rating of 2700-3000 Kelvins.

Tomsic

Reply to
Tomsic

You're just not in tune with marketing speak. The ebay listing gives almost zero real info.

The human eye is extremely forgiving. Unless you're color matching fabrics or tweaking photograph colors, it doesn't much matter what color the light is. I prefer the brighter cool white over the dimmer warm yellow color temperature.

I've been buying the lights of america led bulbs for three generations. They're about six bux at wal-mart. The current generation is 2W 110 lumens. Leds are surface mounted on a stalk, so they have a wide pattern. FWIW, there's lots of criticism of LOA on the web. I've never had a failure. I run 'em 24/7.

And you really don't need much light at all. I have three of these. One in the kitchen, one in the living room and one in the bathroom off the master bedroom. I can easily navigate anywhere in the house without incident. Don't need more light to sit here in front of the computer screen or make a sandwich or take a pee. Life is good.

I do have some ancient artifacts. I think they were called paper books. If I ever need to read one of them, I'll have to reach up and turn on the insanely bright 13W CFL. That doesn't happen often. I'm told that curtains can be opened to let in sunlight, but I've never tried it.

My neighbor calls me "the mole". ;-)

Reply to
mike

Thanks, I didn't know that.

.

Any bulb marked "cool white" will look blue if the manufacturer follows the practices started with the introduction of fluorescent lamps in the 1940s. For the folks who like numbers, thats 4100 Kelvins. Some people used to describe it as "cloudy sky". Anything marked "daylight" is probably even bluer (5000 Kelvins or more). To get a warm light, like incandescent, use one marked "warm white" or with a rating of 2700-3000 Kelvins.

Tomsic

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I just put in a cfl daylight over the kitchen sink. It's not sunlight, but looks like scattered sunlight. I'll probably change it. I can't see things as clear using high color temps. Seems like I can see much better with warm light. I see just fine using halogen, which is more like direct sunlight.

Greg

Reply to
gregz