Earing down drain-how to get out

Diamond earing down shower drain. Can't get to drain other than from the drain opening in the shower. Any suggestions on how to fish the earing out? Thanks, Adam
--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Vacuum might work.

Let me add to that... you probably won't have any luck with a vacuum just stuck over the drain, but if you get a piece of narrow, flexible tubing and connect it to the end of your vaccum hose so you have a smaller, flexible suction tube, you can stick it down the drain and get close enough to the earring to either suck it up (and pull it from the vac bag) or, better, get it stuck, from suction, to the end of the tube if it's a little smaller than the earring. You ought to be able to get tubing & something to adapt it to your vac (e.g. a cork with a hole in it) from a hardware store.

<< Any suggestions on how to fish the earing out? >>
It's probably lodged in the usual soap scum and hair crud in the trap, so you might get lucky sucking it out with a freshly cleaned wet-dry vac. Look for the artifact in the hose as well as the tank if it works. The creative folks in this NG will likely have more ingenious ideas, but this is my contribution for the moment. HTH
Joe
flycaster1 wrote:

Thanks for your worthy responses. I got the gook out of the drain, but no diamonds. However, tomorrow I will go to the outside of the house where the bathroom trap (not really on the outside, but there is an entry to the drain as it leaves the house on its way to the sewer; and that is where the trap is) is and give it a try. As it is possible that the diamond is lodged between the shower drain and the trap, I guess I'll first run a lot of water through...and that might not do it. Furthermore, getting a suction device into the trap may be problematical. I think I'll cut a length of hose, tape it to the suction hose and snake it into the trap. We'll see...
--
To email, erase "forgetit"

I don't know how heavy of a ring you lost.
DO NOT run lots of water.
If it is a PVC install, cut the trap out and empty it into a bucket. Still no ring? Try lots of water flowing into a bucket or get a panty hose strainer and loose couple the pipe back together. You sure don't want to flush the ring to the main, or even to the first crapper, it will be gone forever.

flycaster1 wrote:

Yep, found it, but not where I expected to. I got a friend's vaccupump and was going to try to get to the trap. But as I was pondering this, I thought that the trap probably had all kinds of sh*t (literally) and crap in it. Also, as the diamond could also have been lodged between the drain and trap, I might not have gotten it even if I waded through all the crap. So, I did nothing; although my wife did volunteer to do the sieve through the crap hunt. Well, last night she saw a shinny object in on the carpeting outside the bathroom...the ring. Motto of the story: He who hesitates and does nothing, get the prize. Thanks again for all your help. Adam
--
To email, erase "forgetit"