Eagle Scout project complete!

My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in Indianapolis.

(Note to non-Catholics: the Stations of the Cross is a devotional intended to encourage meditation on the sufferings and death of Jesus Christ. It consists of fourteen icons depicting various events during His Passion, beginning with his condemnation by Pilate, leading up to and ending with his body being laid in the tomb.)

Photos of the completed project here:

Project concept, design, and management by my son. Scrollsaw work by my wife. Construction and installation by my son and over a dozen volunteer helpers. Special thanks to Carter-Lee Lumber Company of Indianapolis for their very generous donation of *all* of the lumber used in this project.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks, Ed.

When he was a Cub Scout, his den and a few others took a field trip to the Marshall Space Center in Huntsville AL. One sentence from their welcoming program for the Scouts has stuck with me: "Every footprint on the moon was left there by an Eagle Scout."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well done...

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Except this one in New Hampshire, he was fined for getting lost in the mountains of NH.

evodawg

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!

Reply to
Swingman

Chrystonacrutch! ...that's one heckuva project. Your son did an amazing job and definitely earned his Eagle badge.

Not quite sure why my linux box wouldn't play the photobucket slideshow in any one of my three browsers (crash or blk screen), but here's the link to view it manually:

nb

Reply to
notbob

Nice work. I'll bet your son will do OK in life.

Reply to
George

-snip-

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

That is odd, mine played it fine. Firefox, it may be a Flash Player plugin problem. Showing Flash Player 10 using Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20080703 Mandriva/2.0.0.18-1.1mdv2008.0 (2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.18,

Reply to
evodawg

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.

It's something many parents would like to believe.

Reply to
Some Guy

Very nice and especially the Eagle Scout accomplishment!

Reply to
Leon

I think the research /has/ been done. I remember seeing some interesting statistics, but it pre-dated the Internet and I can't remember the source.

You might find

even though far from complete (my father, for example, is not listed - but I still have his merit badge sash and Eagle Scout pin).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I did see some information years ago. Many of our great achievers in this country were Eagle Scouts.

Another list; nine out of ten is not bad This is a list of the top 10 most influential people who received the Eagle Scout award. (This list is in no particular order)

  1. Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S. 2. Michael F. Moore, Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker 3. Neil Armstrong, First man on the moon 4. James Lovell - Astronaut 5. Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer 6. William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart 7. J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation 8. Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City 9. Bill Gates, Sr., CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, father of Microsoft founder Bill Gates 10. Mike Rowe, Host of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Do you ever spend time pondering the resurrected Lord, and the blessings of eternal life in Heaven? Or do you just cry all day with endless guilt?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lovely work, Doug. Please pass my congratulations to your son and his troop.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 11:33:24 -0400, against all advice, something compelled "Stormin Mormon" , to say:

That's not a binary choice.

Reply to
Steve Daniels

I've never met a Catholic who "cried all day with endless guilt". I don't know where people get the idea that Catholics are on some kind of guilt trip--few of them that I have ever met are.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Only twelve men have walked on the Moon. Supposedly, _every one_ of them is an Eagle Scout.

Good enough for me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course we do.