Durock

I'm using 1/2" Durock (Hardee brand) in my bathroom around my tub. I've torn out all the way to the studs, and am prepared to add the vapor barrier. Problem: Studs are on 16" centers, but the Durock comes in 3' x 5' sheets. Why? I now need to add additional studs in the wall for the seams. Anyone else run into this?
--
Steve & Lauri Bliss
San Antonio, Texas
"Steven Bliss" wrote in message

barrier.
Anyone
Most tubs are 5' long, either 30"/32" or 34" wide. Exactly what is the problem of why you need to add studs? Hang the Durock horizontally.
I was actually referring to the short sides. The builder came away from the wall at 16" centers. He didn't put a stud at each corner of the wall. I was also referring to the 5' length. How imprtant is it to add a brace all along it?

sheets.
Steven Bliss wrote:

Sounds like he hasn't finished yet. Maybe he'll be back.
RB

"Steven Bliss" wrote in message

the
all
You need corner bracing & at the end of each panel. You do not need bracing along the seam except for every 16", which a stud should be.
Durock and Hardiboard are not even close. My opinion is that if I want a quality job I use Durock. You can use Hardiboard but they are not the same. Durock is available in larger sheets, but 60" is the length of many bathtubs. If you have a situation where the seam falls between studs just screw in a piece of wood to join the two sheets. You don't need to add studs.
RB
RB Steven Bliss wrote:

Steven Bliss writes:

Standard tub is 2.5' x 5'. But it also comes in 4'x8' sheets. Look harder.