Durock

I'm using 1/2" Durock (Hardee brand) in my bathroom around my tub. I've torn out all the way to the studs, and am prepared to add the vapor barrier. Problem: Studs are on 16" centers, but the Durock comes in 3' x 5' sheets. Why? I now need to add additional studs in the wall for the seams. Anyone else run into this?

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Most tubs are 5' long, either 30"/32" or 34" wide. Exactly what is the problem of why you need to add studs? Hang the Durock horizontally.

Reply to
Did it

Durock and Hardiboard are not even close. My opinion is that if I want a quality job I use Durock. You can use Hardiboard but they are not the same. Durock is available in larger sheets, but 60" is the length of many bathtubs. If you have a situation where the seam falls between studs just screw in a piece of wood to join the two sheets. You don't need to add studs.

RB

RB Steven Bliss wrote:

Reply to
RB

Reply to
Steven Bliss

Sounds like he hasn't finished yet. Maybe he'll be back.

RB

RB

You need corner bracing & at the end of each panel. You do not need bracing along the seam except for every 16", which a stud should be.

Reply to
Did it

Standard tub is 2.5' x 5'. But it also comes in 4'x8' sheets. Look harder.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch