Dumb question?

Okay, here goes. I have a chair with castors at my computer desk. I like the freedom of moving around while seated..the problem? I have laminated wooden floors, that are starting to show 'wear' at the desk for all the moving I do. I happened to pass by a Loews and saw that they had castor protectors along with the typical protectors for other chairs and furniture. I tried to ask one of the employees and its not like the TV ads where they seem to show an expert in various areas...not where I live. Anyhow, I can see where it may keep dust and dirt off the castors, but ...now here is the dumb question...are you ready?...Obviously, i can't see one moving around freely as I have been able to do up to now. so what real purpose do they serve...Oh yes, feel free to call me stupid:)
Hammacher Schlemmer has a bamboo chair mat for exactly this purpose - protecting hardwood from chair castors. http://www.hammacher.com/publish/72065.asp?promo=xsells
I think they also sell it at Solutions and Amazon.com as well.
HTH,
Donna

put down a sheet of plexiglas. If the floor is so uneven that plexiglas cracks, use Lexan.

The ones that look like little ash trays are for stationary furniture like sofas. Spreads the weight, to keep from punching holes in the floor, or pushing the carpet down.
Not for rolling chairs. For rolling chairs you need a plastic mat to protect the floor.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

How 'bout popping the stock plastic casters out of the chair & replacing them with some nice rubber wheels. quick & easy swap, quieter rolling, no damage to floor.

Are you referring to rubber caster wheels? If you are, I asked about that at home depot and they said they do not have that in rubber anymore. Maybe they stopped making them?

Home Depot or any of the big-boxes probably won't have them- you will have to go online, to an industrial supply, or to a commercial office furniture place that actually carries repair parts. It won't be cheap. A plastic chair glide pad will be lots cheaper. BTW, it is the grit caught on the casters that causes the damage to the finish. Contact patch is only a couple of square inches, so it grinds it right in there.
aem sends....