Dumb Ice Maker Question?

Page 1 of 2

We're considering buying a used GE refrigerator w/ ice maker. Our current fridge has no ice maker and there is no water supply to that area of the kitchen. I was wondering how feasible it would be to rig up a connection to a big bottle of spring water on top of the fridge for use in the icemaker. Advantages would include improved flavor of the water and not having to run a water line down into the crawlspace, under the kitchen and up behind the new fridge. Disadvantages would include need to periodically replace the water bottle, and the overall kludgi-ness of such a system. Does this just sound like a silly idea or does it have merit? I guess the first, most important question would be: would the gravity feed to the icemaker provide sufficient water pressure?
Thanks -Scott
SMcK wrote:

No. DAMHIKT.
Consider an RV demand type pump. And a method to keep atmospheric contaminants (dust) out.
--
Grandpa

no you cant do that.
icemakers are really easy to install using plastic flexible tubing and saddle valve.
no muss no fuss, how far from water line to fridge?
a old friends hubby refused to connect ice maker after 2 years I showed up one day he was away 1/2 hour later the maker was running.
Its NPOT like running a regular water line at all:)
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Anytime you're dealing with tapping into plumbing you can't expect it to go as smoothly as it did for the above poster!
Anytime you're dealing with tapping into plumbing you can't expect it

had one leak once, and one fateful day the idiot company provided a brass compression ring with a plastic kit, the fitting blew off.
but these troubles were minor, and easily solved.
flexible tubing comes in a 25 foot length the saddle valve clamps to the copper tubing you dont even have to turn off the water

When the plastic hose to my humidifier (same hose as provided for ice makers) sprang a leak, it sprayed into the file cabinet that was nearby in the basement. Fortunately, only tourist information for the most part got wet.

I think it's a GREAT idea.
I don't know about your situation but we have some cabinets over the ice box that for most purposes are useless.
If you run a line from the bottle to the fridge you have to have some means of getting air back into the bottle to prevent a vacuum from forming.
You DRINK the ice (at least in part) so if it makes sense to have bottled water it also makes sense to make your ice from bottled water.

John Gilmer wrote:

Yes, its not a bad idea. Just that ice makers need at least 20 to 25 psi of water pressure to operate. Just how high are your cabinets? ;-)
--
Grandpa

Grandpa wrote:

mybe from skyhook:( any minor obstruction of say a kincked line will prevent proper operation.
my dad uses water from his reverse osmosis filter to supply his ice maker

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As do I currently. But in my misspent youth I thought of trying the 5 gallon water bottle to the icemaker idea (because there was no drinkable water in the shop). After much trial and messy errors, we hit upon the demand pump from an RV shop. When the pressure drops (as when the valve opens on the icemaker), it kicks in and provides the necessary water from a five gallon bottle sitting next to the fridge. Easier to keep an eye on and a whole lot easier to replace and fill. Probably would have worked for water through the door too, but it was a cheap fridge. ;-)
--
Grandpa

As do I currently. But in my misspent youth I thought of trying the 5

way more work than running a plastic water line....

Agreed, especially considering the OP has a crawl space to beneath the refrigerator.
--
:)
JR

So what if it is cheap? Just drill a hole and use a hose clamp.

I had a Certified Factory Repair Technician [hushed awe] tell me the same thing regarding MY icemaker. ...so it MUST be true! <grin>

Five or six floors ABOVE would probably do it.
--
:)
JR

box
means
bottled
Missed that one.
I wonder how much pressure that water jugs can take before they explode?
EMWTK
John Gilmer wrote:

DAMHIKT but, most unscratched plastic five gallon bottles can handle 100psi with no problem; the real issue is keeping the lid on.
--
Grandpa

John Gilmer wrote:

That's begging the question. Does it, indeed, make sense to drink designer water?

That is a man who doesn't have a well

Fill your own trays. Icemakers are stupid.

Another cheapskate chimes in. Yes, they can be a PITA, but I'm willing to pay for it. I've replaced mine once already and I'll do it again if need be. I like ice, and lots of it.