duct tape; the old formula lost forever

If any of you are old enough to remember the duct tape that would stick to anything, well I just found out Nashua 398 isn't it. I was told that it was the old fashioned rubber based adhesive. Well maybe, but it doesn't stick very well to nylon jackets and sleeping bags. I have an old Eddie Bower jacket that still has duct tape patches from 1976. Now THAT was duct tape. :-)
Not saying this is bad tape, just saying I still haven't found the "old" stuff yet.

I have found the the 3m product sold by Costco is close to the old Duct tape. Lee Valley claims to sell the heavier old type of Duct tape according to their catalogue, but I haven't tried it as the Costco version has been good enough for my uses.

A local mfgr here in Duluth who went out of business. Too bad. I guess there was too much confusion with the other guys. The made GREAT cloths.

Eddie Bauer was an outfitter from Seattle,WA. He was the inventor of the goose-down jacket.
On 7/21/2011 6:47 PM, oldyork90 wrote:

I bought some Nashua duct tape about 10 or 15 years ago and it was the worst duct tape I'd ever used. I was mostly using it to tape down camera and audio cable so people don't trip on them. It stretched and rolled up sticking to itself. I realize that professional gaffer's tape is best for this use, but at $20+ a roll duct tape usually works just fine. The Nashua left sticky residue behind. Most duct tape, when removed within a day will not leave residue. Gaffer's tape usually won't leave residue even if left for weeks, although at that price it should pick itself up.

I've never like any of it. Doesn't stick for long, leaves crap when comes undone, pretty much worthless, IMO. Seems like there's always a roll lying around, though, whether it's yours or you bought it, or not. I think the rolls breed. ;)
nb
--
vi ...the root of evil

oldyork90 wrote the following:

I don't buy any of the grey duct tape anymore. I now use the transparent duct tape from 3M or Nashua. The glue does not harden and the plys stay together. I have used it outside in sun, rain, snow, and freezing weather. It has lasted out there for years and when you pull it off, all of it comes off in one piece leaving only a sticky film on whatever it was attached to. It costs more than the grey stuff, but it lasts longer.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY