Dubai - Towering Inferno due to dangerous flammable siding

HOW can you make such ABSURD ASSUMPTIONS about my feelings! You suck!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Since the cave man days, men have battled to have the biggest, highest, tallest, etc.

As for me, I'd rather occupy a shorter and safer building.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

They have changed their codes and these materials are not allowed as of

2014.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Check this out. 35 year time lapse of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku Japan.

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

"

Next time you post a link to a video of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku Japan, make sure it IS a video of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku JAPAN...

And in the mean time, apply for work at Fox News. They're in the business of misleading people, so you'd be in good company.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

Land costs in Manhattan are running almost $800 per square foot. San Fran isn't far behind. When you are starting out with that, adding in site preparation, etc., it is much less hard to imagine how it is much more cost effective.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Muggles posted for all of us...

Not on the exterior. Sprinkler systems are to provide access to exits for life safety. One of the benefits is sometimes they put out the fire and/or drastically reduce extension. I forget what else I was going to expound upon...

Reply to
Tekkie®

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc posted for all of us...

Sometimes the test results are last on the list; put behind other crimes. Sometimes it's not good policy to release details. Sometimes you don't want imply the victim was an asshole-like smoking with O2 on.

Reply to
Tekkie®

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Look at some of the videos of 9/11 The FF's going to their deaths and the public getting out. There are now revisions to fire safety codes to make stairwells wider which building owners don't like.

Reply to
Tekkie®

It's probably a phallic thing..... :)

Or, is it the stairway to heaven mentality?

Same here! I'm not very comfortble with heights anyhow. I'll go on a 35' roof as long as I can walk on it, but you wont get me up on a ladder over 20'. Going in a 5 story department store never bothered me, but 63 stories, NO FU**ING WAY !!!

Reply to
Paintedcow

This is interesting. I never even thought of the weight of the cables, cables slapping against walls, and that sort of thing....

You'd think they could build elevtors in a different manner, such as using shafts with gear teeth on them, or some sort of hydraulics. But I'm sure all of these things have been considered and/or tried.

I'll stick to dealing with houses that are no taller than 2 stories, and a flight of stairs is all that's needed....

Reply to
Paintedcow

Might be a young folks thing. But now that I'm a doddering old fool (who has been a volunteer fire fighter), I'm staying in the lower floors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Did you see the movie "The Towering Inferno"?

Really spooky. Much of it was nonsense, but the fear and panic on the upper floors looked real.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Price out a building lot in Manhattan. Compute how much land would be needed of the tallest building in the city is say, four floors high. Sure would change things.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

WTF????

You do know that Shinjuko is a part of Tokyo don't you?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How about a root cellar?

Reply to
clare

rbowman

A cave? Perfect! Now all I need is Wilma Flintstone to keep me company. Barney Rubble and I can go bowling and pick up a couple Bronto Burgers.

You got that rock changed on my car, yet?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

He's with the trolls under the bridge...

Reply to
Tekkie®