Dubai - Towering Inferno due to dangerous flammable siding

Page 3 of 3
On Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 11:19:03 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

It starts with the money, but there is more involved. There is also bragging rights for the architect, the contracting firm, the city, the company, etc.
Take a look at the video on this page, which details the trick used make the Chrysler building the tallest structure in the world (as they say, "for now"). It was all about the competition between 2 former partners to build the tallest building.
In some cases, being the tallest, the best, the prettiest, etc. can command higher rents just because of the prestige. "Oh, that firm has offices in the tallest building in the world? They must be good at what they do." Impressions mean a lot in the business world.
On 1/5/2016 11:43 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Since the cave man days, men have battled to have the biggest, highest, tallest, etc.
As for me, I'd rather occupy a shorter and safer building.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

high. Th

stronger

building

hard

bragging

company, etc.

Check this out. 35 year time lapse of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku Japan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgMo_tpzUB4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgMo_tpzUB4
"
Next time you post a link to a video of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku Japan, make sure it IS a video of high rise buildings going up in Shinjuku JAPAN...
And in the mean time, apply for work at Fox News. They're in the business of misleading people, so you'd be in good company.

WTF????
You do know that Shinjuko is a part of Tokyo don't you?
On Tue, 5 Jan 2016 11:48:54 -0800, "Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney"

It's probably a phallic thing..... :)
Or, is it the stairway to heaven mentality?

Same here! I'm not very comfortble with heights anyhow. I'll go on a 35' roof as long as I can walk on it, but you wont get me up on a ladder over 20'. Going in a 5 story department store never bothered me, but 63 stories, NO FU**ING WAY !!!
On 1/5/2016 6:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Might be a young folks thing. But now that I'm a doddering old fool (who has been a volunteer fire fighter), I'm staying in the lower floors.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/5/2016 6:59 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Did you see the movie "The Towering Inferno"?
Really spooky. Much of it was nonsense, but the fear and panic on the upper floors looked real.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

How about a root cellar?
On 1/5/2016 10:19 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

A cave? Perfect! Now all I need is Wilma Flintstone to keep me company. Barney Rubble and I can go bowling and pick up a couple Bronto Burgers.
You got that rock changed on my car, yet?
--
.
Christopher A. Young

He's with the trolls under the bridge...
--
Tekkie

snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc writes:

One problem with building higher is that the ground-level footprint of the required number of elevators becomes prohibitive (consider the space required for the shaft itself, plus the vestibule/waiting areas. Note that elevators are height-limited[*], so you'll need to devote almost entire floors in the middle to elevator lobbies feeding the upper floors.
[*] Roughly 500m with traditional steel rope.
Note also that the rope weight increases exponentially with height.
"In very tall buildings, almost 70% of the elevator's weight is attributed to the cable itself, and when the rope gets too long it cannot support its own weight"
"Consequently, long cables cause damage to the shaft and to themselves. For example, in the former World Trade Center Twin Towers, the elevators' cables swung back and forth in the building, and over the decades, their movements resulted in wearing deep holes in the shaft walls"
New designs include double-deck elevators to reduce the require floor footprint.
A good discussion of elevators and skyscrapers is here:
http://www.mdpi.com/2075-5309/5/3/1070/pdf
On Tue, 05 Jan 2016 18:16:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) wrote:

This is interesting. I never even thought of the weight of the cables, cables slapping against walls, and that sort of thing....
You'd think they could build elevtors in a different manner, such as using shafts with gear teeth on them, or some sort of hydraulics. But I'm sure all of these things have been considered and/or tried.
I'll stick to dealing with houses that are no taller than 2 stories, and a flight of stairs is all that's needed....
On 01/05/2016 05:07 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/transportation/mass-transit/maglev-elevators-will-take-you-up-down-and-sideways-by-2016
http://tinyurl.com/o7mo9ns
On 1/5/16 11:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Land costs in Manhattan are running almost $800 per square foot. San Fran isn't far behind. When you are starting out with that, adding in site preparation, etc., it is much less hard to imagine how it is much more cost effective.
On 1/5/2016 11:15 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote:

Price out a building lot in Manhattan. Compute how much land would be needed of the tallest building in the city is say, four floors high. Sure would change things.

Someone posted a link to story. Looks like the fire was external. Real shame. But some what predictable when sheathing is combustible.
Some of the survivors report that was a lot frightening. I can believe that. Easily believe.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On Monday, January 4, 2016 at 7:31:10 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I was in a hotel in Toronto, staying on the 11th floor. At around 1:00 AM the fire alarm went off and we had to evacuate. It turned out that the fire was below us, on the 7th floor.
As we were walking down the stairs, the smell of the smoke was getting stronger and stronger. I was nervous, but not overly so, until the firemen arrived.
At first the progress down the stairs was steady and at a reasonable pace. Then the fireman arrived and began to come up the stairs with all of their equipment on. That forced all of the hotel guests to one side of the stairs and resulted in a stop and go pace. You could feel the nervousness growing in the crowd as we were standing on the stairs, not moving, with smell of the smoke getting stronger. I can only imagine how it must feel when there are actually flames, especially "Towering Inferno" type flames.
In the end, we all made it out with no real problems. The fire was minor and put out quickly.
DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

Look at some of the videos of 9/11 The FF's going to their deaths and the public getting out. There are now revisions to fire safety codes to make stairwells wider which building owners don't like.
--
Tekkie