DTV delayed

Page 5 of 5
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

Cobble up a old junk box and run Speech to Text (STT) software analyzing the TV output. When, "HI, BILLY MAYS HERE" is detected, mute sound for 30 or 60 seconds.
Jon
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 27, 5:02 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Wouldn't work for me as he infests some of the science and history channels that I watch.
Harry K
Add pictures here
✖

Sad part is it has nothing to do with the convertor coupons it is all about money and which company will make more if it is delayed
http://tinyurl.com/6v8yfb
Keep the change
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 06:14:27 -0800 (PST), Limp Arbor

Major factual errors in that OPINION column.
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/27/2009 6:45 AM snipped-for-privacy@dog.com spake thus:

Where? What?
Not challenging you, just that this seems like a major impropriety if it's true--the Obama administration doing something that clearly favors one competitor over another. What are your specific complaints about that article?
mostly pears.
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I haven't read the actual bill and the story linked to doesn't say precisely the terms but what I heard reported last night indicated the bill extends the mandatory analog cut-off date but doesn't preclude those stations that are ready making the Feb 17 transition anyway.
If that is indeed so, it's like most of what Congress does, posturing for effect w/o being useful. The conclusion drawn from the story I saw was that most stations will go ahead as planned.
One would have to find and read the actual legislation to determine what it actual does mandate. The coupon extension/funding is probably good; I used one the day it was to expire on the only box locally available; I have no clue whether it will actually work satisfactorily as none of the OTA transmitters we receive has been dual-broadcasting except one very low power. It would be nice to have the second for a "second chance" at an alternative w/ the decision possible to be made after there's something in the ether to try to capture rather than being totally guesswork...
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Another stupid waste. The only idiots who are still clueless now will also be clueless in June. The only way they'll wake up is if all the stations put up a graphic with the DTV info on the analog channel and just leave it up for a month or two vs. turning off the analog entirely.
Add pictures here
✖

I consider that a great plan!
On the analog channel starting after the original deadline until 1 second after the extension of the deadline, broadcast a screen with advice to convert to DTV, with the best advice that can be fit into nearly enough all analog TV screens!
Give those screwing around a deserved well-kicked boot in the kiester!
I have been using a DTV "converter box" since last July or late June or so!
✖
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 01:17:15 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:
[snip]

I have a DTV tuner and have been getting 6 channels in near-perfect quality (better than the 3 with 1 watchable on analog) for more than 2 years.
And how about switching transmitters (if necessary to use the full-power one for DTV)?
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I was listening to the radio in Rochester NY this morning, and the TV news anchor they were talking to didn't even know!
He thinks you still need a converter box if you have a new flatscreen TV.
This TV anchor hosts a DAILY dial-in feature on the DTV conversion where people call in and he answers their questions.
I've given up hope. If the general populace can't even figure out something this simple... The country is doomed.
Add pictures here
✖
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

These retards will never be ready.
--
<<//--------------------\>>
Van Chocstraw
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And the House rejected said bill today.
We're still on for Feb 17th!
Add pictures here
✖

For now. They tried to push something through using a way that required a super majority. They have more than enough to bring it up again in a way that only requires a majority. They got that and then some. -+
Add pictures here
✖
Kurt Ullman wrote:

Right. Or our Congress-critters could easily slip the slip into the omnibus "Economic Recovery" package now muddling its way through the process.
Or California could impose a regulation binding upon stations in its state. Or Mayor Bloomberg of New York could add it to his proposed ban on salt.
Add pictures here
✖
The house didn't really "reject" the bill. They simply failed to get the 2/3 majority which was required to pass it.
---MIKE---

>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')
Add pictures here
✖