Drywall Question

We just purchased a house and the walls are mostly textured with a VERY heavy spray-on texture. However, some repairs and modifications were made and the mudding was not done very well. One particular area is a small wall about 16" wide that is about 1/2 texture and 1/2 flat. It is painted with semi-gloss. Can I just use a setting type mud directly on the paint or do I need to sand that area down first? Thanks.
-- Mike D.
www.stopassaultnow.org
Remove .spamnot to respond by email
Mike Dobony wrote:

No need to sand. Just skim coat the entire wall with all purpose drywall compound. It will take only minutes and produce a flat, even surface to either paint or texture.