drywall/gypsum board shim spacer?

I have a small hole in a [wallboard] wall, maybe 1 x 2.5 foot, that I want to cover over.
I already have some 1/2" drywall, but the existing drywall is 5/8".
What might I use as a spacer, or shim?
thanks marc
In typed:

Paint stirring sticks from Home Depot appear to be about 1/8 inch thick to me. Maybe they would work.
Or, you could try doing a "California Patch" similar to what is shown here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnrTgr9WEt8

Put in the 1/2", plaster over.
Hint: if you need to buy plaster, don't buy the stuff that comes in what looks like 1/2 gallon milk cartons; instead, buy drywall SETTING compound. Much cheaper.
--

dadiOH

hey Guv, ya might want to check your clock. your post shows 1:24 and it's only 1:05

Wooden paint stir sticks & yard sticks are about 1/8-inch thick.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:19:28 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Get a piece of 5/8" drywall.

I see 12:12am 7/16 and its 11:48 7/15 @ DFW

Thanks, CM. It looks OK here. I'm posting this at 9:11pm PT. How does it look on your end?

I am, but my clock isn't and I'm CT not ET. Probably gremlins somewhere<shrug>

Well, it's beyond my level to see what's going on. 12:12 ET would be the same as 9:12 PT though. Could yours be running slow?