Drywall gap?

All my life I have managed to avoid doing anything with drywall. Now I need to hang a dozen or so sheets on some walls.

I seem to recall reading or hearing that a small gap should be left between sheet edges. True? If so, how much of a gap (1/8" sticks in my mind)?

Thanks.

Reply to
dadiOH

I've seen dry wall gaps from zero to 1/4". I dont think there is a target / desired gap. But I loaned my USG SheetRock manual to a friend.

The 1/8" number you;re remembering might be the APA sheathing material spacing for expansion of the sheets to avoid sheet buckling.

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

Download the "Gypsum Construction Handbook" by USG. Over 300 pages of pure truthiness in PDF form. As far as your concern over gaps, IIRC there needs to be enough so that the drywall mud contacts both edges and cements the sheets together. That makes 1/8" +/- seem a good choice. Much more than that might be compromised by the shrinkage of the mud.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The PDF should be useful, thanks for it and info,

Reply to
dadiOH

Al 37 MB of it :)

Reply to
dadiOH

I ve heard that for sheetgoods like plywood and OSB sheathing but not for drywall. The "pros" recently did our new(er) home and left no gap. I think this has to do with the fact that the drywall, once hung, is normally in a temperature controlled space (air conditioned space as they refer to it around here) and there isnt a tendency for it to try to shrink or expand. That may vary if you're installing it in freezing temps or if its in a 4 season structure such as a cabin that isnt heated or "cooled".

Reply to
Rudy

No gap, not true, not needed. There are different kinds of drywall seams. The easiest is when both edges have thinner edges (about 1/8" thinner) that get taped and filled with drywall compound. The self-adhesive mesh tape is great for seams, I use the paper tape for inside corners, metal bead for outside corners. I leave a 1/2" gap from the bottom of the drywall to the floor, where the basemold covers it up. Good luck with your project.

Reply to
Phisherman

Actually, the installation guidelines include no gap; up to 1/4" is acceptable however.

... ...

Shorter version (only 24 pp)...

Excerpt...

4.6.6 Gypsum panel products shall be abutted so as to be in contact with one another but not forced together. 4.6.7 When gaps occur at gypsum panel product joints, they shall be not greater than 1/4 in. (6 mm) and shall be prefilled with joint compound as specified in Sections 4.6.7.1 and 4.6.7.2. 4.6.7.1 Gaps not greater than 1/8 in. (3 mm) shall be prefilled with either ready-mix or setting-type joint compound. 4.6.7.2 Gaps greater than 1/8 in. (3 mm) shall be prefilled with setting-type joint compound. ...

--

Reply to
dpb

Ditto... hang'em tight...I prefer to use Durabond setting type joint compound for taping joints and corners so a few gaps isn't a big deal..Especially in older homes that aren't square...Hard to get them all tight...Sheets on the ceiling get a screw in the edge and 4 in the field spaced equally apart..On the butt they should be about 6 inches apart..on the walls it is the same except only 3 in the field spaced equally apart...Use a 2500 rpm drywall screwgun for best results though a cordless drill/driver with the drywall attachment works BUT it is ALOT slower..The screws should just dimple the paper to allow for filling with mud..TRY to put them in straight , not to deep and not sticking out...I use a 4000 but you need to learn to walk before you can run...LOL..Any other questions just ask...Good luck...

Reply to
benick