Drywall cutter

I've been using a boxknife, or at least what I call a box knife to cut sections out of drywall as I put it up (vent holes, that sort of stuff). Anyway I find that for anything over 1/2" drywall that box knife really sucks at cutting.

How do the pros cut drywall, I've seen them do it at work when they were constructing my server room, but it just looked like they were using box knives to me - but they went so much more quicker. Is there a special type of blade or knife that works best for drywall or what. It's not like I was being dainty or something with the blade.

Reply to
Eigenvector

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:58:20 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "Eigenvector" quickly quoth:

A sharp razor blade in a box knife will score the paper just fine, then snap the board, turn it over, and cut the unbroken paper at the V.

-- Vidi, Vici, Veni ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

snap it), you will want either a rotozip or else a drywall saw.

Reply to
marson

A utility knife to score and snap. A box knife implies to me a single edge razor blade in a holder - it will work, but would not be my first choice.

A RotoZip or clone or a jab saw like this;

I do not like the Roto tools. I own and have tried the RotoZip brand (plastic junk), a Porter Cable (actually their laminate trimmer router), and a DeWalt. I can hang 3 sheets of rock with a jab saw in the time it takes to change broken blades, fiddle around, etc. ______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

Reply to
DanG

It is called a drywall saw, shaped like a small carving knife, serrated blade.

Reply to
Don Phillipson