Drywall Ceiling - Which Thickness ?

I am about to start a ceiling in the basement with drywall. Is there an advantage in using 5/8 in rather than 1/2 in drywall ?? Thanks.
typically, 5/8" is used on ceilings because it is stiffer and will be flatter. however, i have seen 1/2" used on ceilings successfully if the joists are 16" on center or lesser.
Thanks. My Joists are spaced 16 in OC and I am planning on applying the wallboard directly on the joists. From what i've seen in the rest of the house , the Joists may not be level. If the 5/8 will help to correct some of the problem, I'll go for it then. Is there any advantage in stargering the joints? or just apply parpendicular to the joists symmetrically ?
Thanks.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I would suggest that if you really have joist that are not level, 5/8 will not fix that, you need to shim the joist to get it properly flat.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
On Fri, 19 May 2006 11:48:43 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"

Do you mean to install shims between the joist and drywall as needed ?
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Sort of.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Increased fire blocking. less sagging and heavier trying to put up.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Most building codes require 5/8" for flame resistance.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

There are 1/2" boards specifically made for ceilings, such as SHEETROCK Brand 1/2" Interior Gypsum Ceiling Panels http://tinyurl.com/m4j5k
Lighter weight so it's easier to install and it's stiffer than regular 1/2" rock. Good way to go.
I had can lights put in my kitchen this week (late '50's split level). The ceiling was plaster OVER drywall. It was 7/8" thick. They also used chicken wire in the corners. Just thought I'd share...
You can also use 1/2" high density board. Hand trowling will help hide any defects as well and looks more professional in my opinion.