Drywall around radiator

I'm remodeling my den and it has radiators that are mounted in the walls. Basically a metal box that extends out of the wall by about 3" and has a loveared cover on the front. The old plaster was feathered onto the radiator shell. How do I do this with drywall? Can anyone point me to a reference on how to do this?

Thanks, Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

When it comes to drywall in older homes there isn't a cut and dry reference...You have to kinda wing it and get creative sometimes as well as be knowledgable about all the drywall trim , beads and other specialty items......Is there any way you could post a link to a couple of pictures ??? Hard to tell without seeing it... If you can get some pics I will look it over for you and give you a few ideas...Isn't much I haven't seen in 20 odd years of drywall.....

Reply to
benick

You can stick the drywall to the "box" with construction adhesive. You can get some finishing (J-bead) strips (white plastic) to apply to the exposed drywall "edge" from a REAL drywall supply place

Rudy

Before doing anything I'd do some probing to see if there is any insulation between the outside wall and the radiator.

Reply to
Tony

I don't know if I would glue it to the box depending on how hot it gets..It may be better to just screw it up to the metal and then let the sheetrock float out over the box so it can expand and contract without damaging the drywall.....May also want to use metal J bead if it gets hot as well.....Plastic wouldn't melt or burn but high heat gets it very brittle over time....Depending on the look he wants he could use tapable J bead...That's J bead that you mud like cornerbead.....Hard to tell anything for sure without seeing it and getting more info.....

Reply to
benick

Best way is to strip the wall back to the studs, and drywall around it like you would any built-in item, using the special edging to get a crisp edge. Hard to say without seeing it- can you post a link to a close-up picture?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'd know immediately how/what to do if I saw your situation. I use Sheetrock 90 to fill in gaps butting up against appliances. It makes a cleaner/neater job if you use painter's tape against the appliance and drywall mesh tape on the drywall edge. It is best to have the patience and apply 5-6 coats of compound, one coat each day, and sand smooth and wipe off before applying the next coat. Use a work light to inspect your work before applying the last skim coat of slighlty thinned-down drywall compound.

Reply to
Phisherman

That is true in most instances..But doing it to a hot radiator wouldn't be a good idea...It WILL crack and fall apart....We REALLY need a pic.....

Reply to
benick

The J bead is probably the answer. I'll try to post some pictures tomarrow.

Regarding heat, the hot water leaves the boiler around 140 to 180 I think. By the time it get's upstairs it's probably down to 120 to 140. Transfer through the radiator fins the air is probably about 90 to 100. So the box only get's about 90 to 100 degrees. I've never measured it but I can tell you it's enough to overheat the cat in about 15 minutes. Then he has to lay of the floor to cool off, but then it's back to the warmth.

Thanks for you help guys, I'll work on getting some pictures posted.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Very little. I changed the windows above the radiators so I had the sideing off the house around the windows. There was only about a 1" gap between the back of the radiator and the sheathing. I split a batton in half thickness wise and sandwiched it between the two. Probably not optimal, but it's the best I could do. This is one of the reasons they don't use these anymore.

Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

OK, here's a couple of pictures of the one's upstairs which are complete. The far away shot shows what the radiators look like and the closer ones shows what the joint looks like. Any ideas on how I make this happen?

Thanks Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Yep....Just as I thought...Just sheetrock up to it.....Just be carefull not to put a screw to close to the metal flange or you will fracture the rock.Just float it ..Staple or use Drywall Adhesive to put Vinyl L bead with the tear away strip around the radiator..Mud , remove tear away strip , sand , prime then I would caulk around it before finish paint... Good luck...

Reply to
benick

Where do I find the vinyl bead. A building supply house? I assume home depot wouldn't carry that would they?

Thanks, Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

Home Depot carries it...Atleast here...It is pretty common....Good Luck....

Reply to
benick