dryer vent cleaning

which is the superior method ? (or all they all alike for the most part).
(a). rotating brush / snake
(b). compressed air blow in one end, blow lint out other end.
(c). "viper" compressed jet snake device.
the current vent appears fine (no drying related complaints), and this is preventive maintenance only - but there's no telling when (or if) the prior homeowner ever cleaned it (home is about 10 yrs old).
the low ball price i got was for a compressed air flush of the vent (about $89)....other services quoted me about $200 using a brush/snake.
any opinions on one method over the other?
You're paying someone to clean out your dryer vent? $200??
Once a year (usually in the fall) I take my vent apart to clean it. I use a vacuum...a clotheshanger...and my own two hands (& fingers) to clean it out. 15 minutes tops and I'm done and ready for another year...
(I should point out that I always empty the lint filter with each load...)

You'd say no to a quick blow job? ;-)
Seriously, I face the exact same situation.
The professional cleaning services are very expensive so I'm thinking of simply replacing the duct sometime in the spring of next year. It should be cheap, totally effective and hopefully not too horribly inconvenient working in the crawl space.
Unless you are talking some extreamly strange set up, you should be able t clean it yourself with a few tools from around the house, and at that kind of price, you could probably replace the entire run of ductwork for less!

Methos wrote:

I bought a brush for a lot less than that and open it up about half way start the brush in and attach the vac and turn it on, then use the brush. Turn around and do the same the other way. 10 or 15 minutes. That would be about $800 per hour.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I had one that ran under an addition to my house, and fortunately, was a straight run of maybe 20'. I got three pieces of PVC pipe and some unions, and some sheet metal screws. Made an "X" at one end with some pieces of coat hanger wire. Basically a big gun bore brush. Threaded it through from the outside. The "X" picked up gobs of lint. On the inside, I simply took the fittings apart and used a vacuum cleaner. Did this about once a year. Brush assembly came appart, and lived in the garage until the next time. Total cost of pieces, maybe $10.00. Time to fabricate the gadget... maybe 20 minutes.
thanks for all the responses! much appreciated.

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:38:06 -0500, "Methos"

I use a garden hose with a wad of rags rubber-banded on the end. It works great and use this method twice a year. No water.

Do it yourself. Regardless of which method you use, remove any screws that hold the sections together. Throw out the screws and tape the sections together with aluminum tape, I can't think of what it's called, but it's for dryer vents. Pretty sticky stuff and doesn't come un-stuck with the heat.
Screws are bad because lint catches on them inside the vent tube.
Methos wrote:

If you have a difficult time with this project, check out http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com
Alisa LeSueur Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician