Dryer Motor On The Way Out?

All,
Just tried to dry a load of laundry in my '97 Whirpool dryer only to discover that my dryer drum was not rotating. I heard a hum and shut things down.
Upon investigation I found the following things:
1. Belt was not broken. 2. All wheels turned freely 3. Motor turned freely*
After vacuuming all of the lint/dust... I reconnected the door switch to check if the motor would turn without a load (i.e. the belt attached). Nogo... at first.
* I "helped" the motor turn and cleaned up a bit more lint. The motor now seems to turn more freely. It is always rotating now (w/o a load) when I start things up.
Question:
Can I get away with lubing things up and hope for the best or am I looking at a motor and/or start capacitor replacement?
Many thanks!
Greg snipped-for-privacy@freeshell.org <- remove "rider" to respond directly
Hi,
Normally no capacitors in a dryer motor circuit. Certainly -sounds- like a motor going sour! :(
In alt.home.repair on Tue, 26 Jul 2005 13:34:09 -0500 Greg

Jeff knows far more than I, but I would put in some clothes and watch it from behind. Is the motor turning while the belt isn't, for instance? Use a flashlight. Don't touch it. (Well maybe with a twig, but don't tell anyone I said that.)
One of the first "big" repairs I did, I was about 11 or 12 years old and our electric dryer wasn't working. I did the diagnosis and my mother was the muscle. It just needed a new belt. That one had stretched, I guess.
Even though it was only 3 years old iirc. Went 10 more years on the second belt, until she moved to a place it wouldn't fit and sold it.
--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info

Thanks for the follow-ups. I believe the problem may have fixed itself after using compressed air and vacuuming out everything. With and without the drum (even with a load in the dryer) attached... I can't get the motor to bind up again. Hopefully I bought myself a little more time with this dryer. :-)
Best.
Greg

Oil it anyhow, then watch and see. A few drops of oil are cheap. Either the motor is going to work or die. All you can do is try.