Dry Wells for Roof Drain

A question --- I have a 'dry well' where the roof gutter drains into. Over the years, it must have glogged up and now my gutter does not drain properly. I confirmed that the drain into the ground appears to be clogged.

Without having to dig up the piping ... any ideas on what can be done to clean this? Would drain cleaner or root remover do any good?

Reply to
Buster Chops

Sorry you will have to dig it up, ideally at a new spot.

it helps to keep all junk out of gutters, leaves break down into crud that eventually clogs things.

no consumer amout of drain cleaner will help

Reply to
hallerb

i ran the lines to the curb, its not code but many neighbors have done it too. clogs no longer matter.

one friend built a filter box with screens to minimize drywell clogging.

eventually dirt migrates in nothing lasts forever:(

Reply to
hallerb

Take a hose from your largest volume spigot. Crank the water fully on and shove the hose end down the drain pipe. Water will boil back out. Shove the hose in till it won't go anymore, then slide it in and out a few inches. It should go in further with each time. Keep this up, going in further and further until the drain starts to drain away instead of out the pipe you are attacking. Then go a little further. Attaching a "blaster nozzle" to the hose end may speed this process, but you need the volume of water to carry the crud back out, and the blaster reduces volume. Sometimes in this process, twisting the hose will help it get past bumps in the drain pipe. You might spend an hour or more to clear the drain, and it may not clear at all. You can only try it and see.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

This is why drywells for gutters are never a good idea, unless there really is no alternative. I'd try to replace it by using natural grading away from the house combined with long splash blocks or flexible corrugated pipe.

Reply to
trader4

Sorry, it sounds like your drywell is silted up, so physically removing is the only option. IMHO.

Good luck.

tom @

Tom The Great

I'll try this again. I sent it yesterday, but don't see it.

Dog out what you can from the pipe by hand. Take a hose from your largest volume spigot. Crank the water fully on and shove the hose end down the drain pipe. Water will boil back out. Shove the hose in till it won't go anymore, then slide it in and out a few inches. It should go in further with each time. Keep this up, going in further and further until the drain starts to drain away instead of out the pipe you are attacking. Then go a little further. Attaching a "blaster nozzle" to the hose end may speed this process, but you need the volume of water to carry the crud back out, and the blaster reduces volume. Sometimes in this process, twisting the hose will help it get past bumps in the drain pipe. You might spend an hour or more to clear the drain, and it may not clear at all. You can only try it and see.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

For what it's worth, I got it. That is, I got the first one too.

Reply to
mm