Dry time for coats of spray paint

Page 1 of 2
I just bought a new, outside rearview mirror for my car but I need to spray-paint the mirror before I bolt it to the car door.
The directions on the spray cans of Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint say to allow "sufficient" time for the paint to dry between coats.
How many minutes/hours of dry-time should I allow between:
* each coat of Scratch Filler Primer
* the last coat of the primer and the first coat of the color paint
* each coat of the color paint
* the last coat of the color coat and the first coat of the clear coat
* each coat of the clear coat
* the last coat of the clear coat and installation.
Thanks,
On 9/19/2015 10:18 AM, gary wrote:

between primer coats, then a half hour to the finish, then a half hour to the clear coat.
In your case, I;d wait a bit longer, even overnight from primer to finish if you can.
There are some paints that will say to coat withing an hour or wait at least 12 hours, but if not stated, it probaly does not matter.

The question becomes, what about that "within an hour"? 5 minutes or 55? 1 or 59? or 30?
I'll generally stray something other than the "prime target" and assess the progress of drying or curing by touch on the "test sample" to decide when to recoat, or sand off runs, or whatever - without risking damage to the "prime target"
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 07:18:56 -0700 (PDT), gary

will dry almost instantly and enamel on a cold, damp dreary day may take over night.
acrylic lacquer aerosol paint 75 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 08:38:59 -0700 (PDT), gary

hours batween unlike products to be safe. (acrylic laquer over enamel primer, for instance -, or unknown clear over acrylic laquer)
acrylic lacquer aerosol paint 70 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit painting will be done in an garage (not outdoors)
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 19 Sep 2015 08:40:48 -0700 (PDT), gary

I do my spray painting in the shade, but outdoors. Often in the hour or two before sundown. I don't want to inhale the slightest bit of paint, not even the stuff that sneaks around the mask or respirator.
And on a calm day or when the wind is blowing away from the houses and the cars. Overspray can travel a long way. I do have an advantage of 200 or 300 feet of woods in one direction. But when I've spray painted a car -- because of the layout, I can't get my car into my side yard -- either scratches or more, I drive to where there is no one and nothing around, in any direction.
I used to put newspaper on the grass to avoid painting the grass, but periodically I go around taking down the illegal advertising on public land around here, the plastic sheets on metal poles. And I realized those plastic rectangles make even better cover for the grass, because it takes 10 times as much wind to blow them away. When it's windy enough to move them, I wouldn't be painting anyhow.
I definitly paint on the grass and not a sidewalk because even though it looks like the protective cover is plenty big, sometimes it's not big enough. When paint gets on the grass, the grass gets mowed.
acrylic lacquer aerosol paint 70-80 degrees All coats will be applied in an open garage (not outdoors)
On 9/19/2015 11:44 AM, gary wrote:

I want to apply 3 coats of primer, 3 coats of color and 3 coats of clear coat.
How much time between the primer and the color?
How much time between the color and the clear coat?
On 9/19/2015 12:21 PM, gary wrote:

Assuming not too heavy a coat and not high humidity, half hour should do it. I've done it in less.
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:21:16 -0700 (PDT), gary

If so, half an hour between primers (unless you are sanding) but why 3 coats? then half an hour (or less) between colour coats (unless wet sanding) then half an hour between clears (unless wet sanding)
If wet sanding, allow at least an hour or two before sanding - then coat immediately after the item is FULLY dried from the sanding operation.
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 09:21:16 -0700 (PDT), gary

It goes a lot faster if it is in the sun. I have shot thinned poly urethane and been able to sand and shoot another coat in a half hour sitting in the driveway in full sun. It was tacky in 10 minutes.
On 9/19/2015 10:18 AM, gary wrote:

I've never seen an off the shelf can of spray paint exactly match any factory paint color.
That is why I would paint an accessory like this mirror black or some other complementary color.

mixed" or dealer supplied touch ups. For mirrors and other accessories it is generally so close you cannot tell the difference, while using it to spot repair a panel is a "horse of a different colour", and even to paint a "defined panel" like a door can be off far enough to be very noticeable becaue it is on the same "plane" and even between two other original panels.
On 9/19/2015 1:55 PM, Steve Stone wrote:

I found a place on line that will make you a spray can. It is a perfect match on my car. Cost more than the off the shelf stuff at the auto store though.

Auto paint stores sell a little sprayer that uses a baby food jar and a separate can of propellant. They can mix just about any factory color, the problem that color has probably faded if the car is a few years old.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 01:59:20 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

a gallon, it is very difficult to get the color 100%/ Fading on today's finidhes is almost a non-issue.
On Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:57:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have a red Honda that will dispute that ;-)