Dropping Trees on Septic Field

No, I haven't. Do they work well for you? Guess you need 2 or 3 of them to be sure? I have a big sledge but no wedges. When do you start hammering them in? I find the tree pretty much goes exactly where I cut a V notch in the side on. You get that effect with the wedges?

om...
Wedges prevent saw binding (even when wind blows an otherwise straight tree) and provide lifting force to tip the tree while maintaining a thicker hinge of wood, although I won't claim that a thick hinge will cause slow falling.
Two wood or plastic felling wedges should be adequate. They're cheap, too. You can also use them for bucking logs to prevent binding.
-snip-

I like wooden ones. and they *are* cheap-- especially since when I've needed one I was standing near a tree with a chain saw.
If you're fortunate enough to have a few 4" locust or hickory branches, you've got a lifetime supply of wooden wedges. [sharpen first-- then cut the square end-- unless you have a very trusting partner.]
Jim

I'm guessing persimmon would make that list too.
jamesgangnc wrote:

Strong rope and a come-a-long. Tighten it up so the tree is leaning the way you want it to fall, then make one cut from the rear. Or first cut a small wedge before cranking the come-a-long to help with your aim.
jamesgangnc wrote:

If it were me, I'd do it myself. But then again if it messed up a pipe in the leach field I'd fix that myself also. The leach field ain't rocket science, just a dirty job. I'd guess the chances of it falling and a branch breaking and doing any damage is slim anyway.