Dropping Trees on Septic Field

.

Have you tried wedges?

Reply to
mike

Strong rope and a come-a-long. Tighten it up so the tree is leaning the way you want it to fall, then make one cut from the rear. Or first cut a small wedge before cranking the come-a-long to help with your aim.

Reply to
Tony

No, I haven't. Do they work well for you? Guess you need 2 or 3 of them to be sure? I have a big sledge but no wedges. When do you start hammering them in? I find the tree pretty much goes exactly where I cut a V notch in the side on. You get that effect with the wedges?

Reply to
jamesgangnc

om...

w.- Hide quoted text -

Wedges prevent saw binding (even when wind blows an otherwise straight tree) and provide lifting force to tip the tree while maintaining a thicker hinge of wood, although I won't claim that a thick hinge will cause slow falling.

Two wood or plastic felling wedges should be adequate. They're cheap, too. You can also use them for bucking logs to prevent binding.

Reply to
mike

-snip-

I like wooden ones. and they *are* cheap-- especially since when I've needed one I was standing near a tree with a chain saw.

If you're fortunate enough to have a few 4" locust or hickory branches, you've got a lifetime supply of wooden wedges. [sharpen first-- then cut the square end-- unless you have a very trusting partner.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I'm guessing persimmon would make that list too.

Reply to
jamesgangnc