Drilling Hardy Plank Siding

Anybody have any tips for working with Hardy (Hardie?) plank siding? I've volunteered to hang some hooks on a hardy plank wall. Will I need masonry bit to drill holes? I know the manufacturer isn't keen on installers using screws to hang the siding. Does that apply to "accessories" also? I'm guessing fiber/cement board isn't intended for weight bearing applications and I'll have to make sure to find studs or at least reach the sheathing if she wants anything heavy hung.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
red

It may also be that the siding needs to be able to move a little as it heats up (expands) or cools down (contracts). Screws into or through it might cause splitting/cracking and also might void any warranty? May be best to check further. A neighbour here had trouble with some Hardi-plank crumbling in our (at times) damp climate. Hardie Plank provided some compensation under warranty on basis that before sale the local retailer may have stored it outside. Also advising that it should be installed and immediately painted!

Reply to
stan

Fasteners must be corrosion resistant, galvanized, or stainless steel...I'd find the studs....

Reply to
benick

Right. And drill a hole in the HardiePlank such that it doesn't bind on the plank.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hi, My cabin has that kind sidings on exterior wall. I only hung couple of hose hangers. I drilled little larger hole that the screws into a stud, I put teflon washer under/over the hanger holes. Nothing bad happened over the years.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I used Hardie siding on my storage shed. When I put a hose hanger on the side of it I quickly learned to drill it much like you would ceramic tile, make the hole bigger than the screw and either screw into a stud or use some kind of anchor like you would on sheetrock.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

replying to Tony Hwang, Mike wrote: How did you find the stud under the hardie plank? Was it a special type of stud finder?

Reply to
Mike

My stud finder didn't seem to work, but I knocked on the Hardie siding with my knuckles and I could clearly hear where there was a stud.

Reply to
Art Todesco