drill recommendation sought

I want to drill six holes with a 3/8" masonry bit, to set some lag screws in the mortar in a brick wall. I'd also like to widen two holes in a steel bike rack; they are a few mm. smaller than 1/2" in diameter and I want to make them 1/2". Since I don't do this sort of thing very often, I don't want to buy more drill than I need to. I have a small Black & Decker drill for around the house. I'd be grateful for suggestions on make/model ... an inexpensive drill with enough power to do these tasks. Not a problem if it takes one drill longer than another to drill into masonry and steel; I just don't want to burn it out. Thanks Timo
Timo wrote:

I think your drill will do the job. Mortar is not really rock hard. I drilled few holes on my concrete patio with small vari-speed drill. If you really nedd bigger/more powerful drill, go to HD and rent one. They charge by the hour. good luck, Tony
this one would work fine
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId"2020-70-DR%20201K
Wayne

Or you can a 1/2" hammer drill at Homedepot http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/diy_main/pg_diy.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=misc%2fsearchResults.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@1416560999.1097714437@@@@&BV_EngineIDdeadcmkjijgglcgelceffdfgidgjj.0&MID76
Rich http://www.garage-door-hardware.com

With sharp drill bits or reamers for the steel, your should do the job. I hesitate to tell you to buy a new drill if you don't use it much. It may take longer for your drill than a heavy one, but it will be the least costly.
You'll be amazed at how easily mortar can be drilled. Get a carbide tipped masonry bit and it will cut the hole in seconds. Be careful enlarging the holes in the bike rack. A drill bit can grab the metal and give you a rapid twist. Keep a firm grip on the drill. There are also tapered reamers for that sort of work.
If you have a problem (and I doubt it) you can rent a hammer drill from Home Depot or Lowes.

As others have pointed out, mortar is soft, so 6 holes with a standard drill wouldn't be a problem. Might need more than one masonry bit, since w/o a hammer drill, they over heat. (meaning keep it cool with water, and it will last longer, the drill bit when drilling masonry)
If you want to buy something, what ever is on sale at the box store, as a low end hammer drill will do you fine. Almost all hammer drills have a hammer on/off function, so can operate as a regular drill.
Thanks to all who replied for your advice and suggestions. Timo

Harbor Freight for the masonry bits. Your drill will work just slow
If you don't use a hammer drill on brick, you will melt the bit in about 30 seconds. You may be able to get through the mortar, but if it's old and is easily drilled, then it probably isn't going to be a very secure foundation for lag shields.
I would rent a hammer drill and put your lags into the brick rather than the mortar.

For a seldom used drill like this, fire up www.harborfreight.com and see what kind of Chinese made equipment you can find for cheep. Really great prices, but don't expect them to put up with heavy usage like a contractor grade.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus