Drill drain hole in concrete planter?

Page 2 of 2

to date for

Thanks, Dad! :-)
(Seriously, it is not often that we find positive feedback on usenet - so often many threads degenerate into name calling and worse. This response was very refreshing.)
Just an esthetic question...........
how is a rubber hose better looking than drainage dribble / mineral staining?
I thought we were going for the hidden solution.
I do agree that the hose in the side hole solution is the simpliest but it would never pass the "Martha test" at my house.
cheers Bob

/ mineral

Couple of possibilities. For occasions (patio parties?) when appearance is especially important the hose can be removed and replaced after the party. One can also get (non-rubber) hose at car parts places that is clear, and thus much less obvious.

I think that is the best solution, in which case the advantage of the hose over the staining is that at some later time there may be no way to position the container with a hidden overflow. In that case the stain would be harder to remove than the hose.

simpliest but

My mental image of this container is of it sitting in a patio or outdoor area, thus beyond, at least where I live, Martha's area of responsibility. :-)
--
CWLee
Airkings wrote:

Turn it over. Drill the 7' of concrete (ridiculous idea). By the time you get the thing drilled, the water will have drained out and probably need watering again as it will be mid-summer. Oh, and add more potting soil because half of it will fall out during the process.