Drawer slides.

I want to attach two drawer slides to the edges of a 1" chipboard. The best I can do is use 1.5" drywall screws into small predrilled holes. I can use either coarse or fine thread screws.
Which is likely to hold the best, coarse or fine thread?
Many thanks,
Peter.

They both suck That certainly is not the "best you can do". Get the right type of screw such as http://www.mcfeelys.com/subcat.asp?sid99
Drywall screws are made for a specific purpose and using them in other applications is taking a risk. They are too brittle for normal holding.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Everyone says that, but I've never actually broken one in use. (Of course I don't use them to hang cabinets or such.)
However, coarse drywall screws (at least the ones around here) actually work fairly well in particleboard and MDF. I have a crude AV rack that I put together about 7 years back using MDF and drywall screws. So far its survived 5 moves.
Chris

Kind of like duct tape and baking soda have a specific purpose ehhhh? ;-)

Chipboard is not exactly a good base to drive screws into. Use course pan head screws. Drywall screws are weak and the countersunk head will not well.