draining water softener

I just moved into a rental that has a water softener. The water without it is softer than I am used to anyway so I gave the landlord permission to turn it off. Now it is sitting there filled with water. It makes me nervous since I assume bacteria and mold may be able to grow in it. Is there a way to drain it? I don't have the manual.

Thanks for any advise, Bonnie

Reply to
rosebud

Rosebud,

If you want to drain the salt tank you can use a wet/dry vacuum. I doubt many things will grow in such a salty environment though. The water will be very salty so do not pour it on your lawn.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

The water in the brine talk is so salty, it will be difficult, but not impossible for mold to grow in it.

Ask the owner for assistance in drining the brine tank and discarding the salt inside. It is safe to put this all down a tub drain, flush down the toilet, provided that you are attached to a municipal sewer.

Reply to
Robert Gammon