Drain Pop Up

Any help with fixing one of these, please? The drain pop-up comes off almost weekly. Sometimes with cleaning the sink, sometimes just does it on it's own. I then have to fiddle with the damned thing to get it back on the metal rod. That's a hassle in itself. Usually have to do it again in another week.
I'm tempted just to leave it off, but shoving the pop-up down to take out my contacts, then prying it up to brush my teeth is getting old.
I looked under the sink to where the rod comes out -- looks like there might be a way to jam that rod in farther once I get it reconnected. Good idea or no?
Thanks!
Unless it is worn out (which I doubt) It sounds like it needs to be adjusted right so it doesn't disconnect.
You should not be able to get the pop-up hooked back on the metal rod without removing the rod from the drain under the sink. Sometimes the hole in the pop-up is offset, if so it should be installed so the tab with the hole in it is closer to the back of the sink.
You should be able to remove the retaining nut for the rod and slide it back far enough to get the pop-up installed properly.
I've never tried shoving the rod further along the little ball it pivots on but it would probably work. I would not try doing this with it assembled, you could easily break the drain pipes even if they are metal. Heres a picture:
http://www.hometips.com/content/popups_intro.html
Jim Weiss wrote:

If I am guessing right about the parts you are talking about, the metal rod from the drain goes through a hole in a metal strip that is connected to a handle that you pull up or push down on the sink. If that is so you should have some sort of clamp that holds the two together. I have seen types that use a screw to secure the two together or a bent piece of spring steel with a hold at each end, to do the job.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Some of these can be installed two ways. One way and they're removable from above by twisting the stopper; the other way they can't be removed without removing the metal rod. I'd try removing the metal rod and installing the stopper turned 180 degrees from the way you normally install it. Not all of them are designed this way but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Harry