drain pipe, holes up or down?

What kind of corrugated plastic pipe would you put behind a retaining wall? Slitted or with holes, if with holes, would the holes go up or down? And what about fabric sleeves vs. burying the pipe under gravel wrapped with landscape fabric? I've heard every combination of answers. What's your answer, and why? Can you give a link to reliable info? Thx.

I'd use the white PVC (3" or 4") with the holes drilled in it. I dont like the black corrugated stuff (Big "O" pipe). I ve seen it collapsed. Around here, they sell a filter paper of sorts thats placed over the gravel above the pipe to keep the dirt/fines from working its way down to the pipe. Thats what all the builders go with around here.