Doorbell Question Update

I apologize that I wasted everyone's time.
I found where the inside doorbell transformer is located. It is inside the coat closet, right by the front door.
I have looked inside this closet at least three times. This time, I removed the coats, got a step stool, and there it is.
Now, I hope I can get it to work. I don't like the battery operated ones because you can't get a pretty sounding chime.
Thanks everyone! I love this group.
Kate wrote:

Damn, found this after I replied to the original thread.

For your typical 16 volt doorbell system to work, you need a transformer for the power, which you found, and you need two wire cables going to each switch, and ultimately ending up with at least three wires at the chime location. You mentioned a red and white wire at the chime location, and a red and white wire at a back door location, but nothing at the front door. I would pull those wire out of the wall behind the chime and see if there isn't another wire hiding in there, then look for the front door cable

Those transformers tend to fail after a while, the first step would be to check to see if it is still working. They are available at hardware stores & likely @ Lowes / Home Depot

Kate:
Do you have a voltmeter that you can use to check if the transformer is putting out 16 -24 Volts AC?

when he is here. Thanks.

Send him a note to remember to bring the meter. Check the wires at each location. If the transformer is bad or a wire is broken - check them both. Some doorbell wires have multi-pairs of wire (old phone line or CAT-5 type). If one wire is broken, swap out another color pair...
Good luck!
Oren wrote:

Eric in North TX wrote:

in good working order.