Door question

A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how?
left and right? reversed left and right?
I am really confused about this door swing stuff.
does it matter if I am standing inside or outside?
Please "Nate" do not answer this question you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door swings.
thanks the sagacious dolt

Yes, this can be confusing. Especially because not everyone uses the same definition of door left and right. I think that the most common definition (at least in the US) is this: stand in the open door with your back to the hinges; if the door swings to the left, it is a lefthand door; if to the right, it is a righthand door.
The approach is considered from the outside or key side of whatever door.
If the door swings into the room (away from your approach), a door with the hinges on the right is a right hand door.
If the door swings out of the room (toward your approach), a door with the hinges on the right is a right hand reverse.
Here is an illustration: <http://www.mckinneyhinge.com/pdfs/kb/Hand%20of%20Doors%20and%20Hinges.PDF
In reality, most things about hanging doors can be worked out by putting your butt to the butt hinges and determining which one of your arms would be the door. This eliminates needing to know or understand the reverses. The reverses are only important in full mortise locks, panic bars, closers and some other commercial hardware. There is no difference in typical residential use between a RHR (right hand reverse) and a LH (left hand). ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local) http://www.singingvalentines.com/ (national)

| >A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how? | > | > left and right? | > reversed left and right? | > | > I am really confused about this door swing stuff. | > | > does it matter if I am standing inside or outside? | > | > Please "Nate" do not answer this question | > you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on | > door | > swings. | > | > thanks | > the sagacious dolt | > | > | |
the sagacious dolt wrote:

While there may be a standard and correct terminology, that does not matter if you are communicating with someone who does not consistently use the standard terminology. Some manufacturers (Masonite, for example) refuse to use standard terminology and sometimes are not even consistent from door to door (again, Masonite is an example). Other manufacturers might have their own terminology but define it well in their documentation. So... when necessary, make sure you also describe what you want without relying on terminology. Say or write things like: "...when this outswing door is viewed from the outside the hinge is on the left..."
| | | the sagacious dolt wrote: | | > A double door (french door) that opens outward are hinged how? | > | > left and right? | > reversed left and right? | > | > I am really confused about this door swing stuff. | > | > does it matter if I am standing inside or outside? | > | > Please "Nate" do not answer this question | > you are the one confusing me after reading the other threads on door | > swings. | > | > thanks | > the sagacious dolt | > | > | | While there may be a standard and correct terminology, that does | not matter if you are communicating with someone who does not | consistently use the standard terminology. Some manufacturers | (Masonite, for example) refuse to use standard terminology and | sometimes are not even consistent from door to door (again, Masonite | is an example). Other manufacturers might have their own terminology | but define it well in their documentation. | So... when necessary, make sure you also describe what you want without | relying on terminology. Say or write things like: "...when this outswing | door is viewed from the outside the hinge is on the left..." |
WHY HAVE STANDARDS IF EVERYONE DOESN'T FOLLOW THEM? ALMOST LIKE MORALS IN THIS COUNTRY.