Dolmar Chainsaw and Opti Oil

Dolmar 5100 chainsaws may have air filter defect that will cause the engine to sieze. There is only a 1 year warranty.

Reply to
kh fami

Dolmar has advised that running Opti 2 in the Opti 2 ratio may damage the saw.

Reply to
kh fami

I see you have started your rampage. Telling the world. You said you would do it and here you are!

Hint: bring these heathens to their knees. Have 'em tow the mark and walk the line.

Reply to
Oren

I'm not mad.

Reply to
Oren

It's working. Since reading this post, I've not bought a Dolmar chainsaw and I won't tomorrow either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Just trying to share meaningful info.

I like the saw - a lot when I compare it via specs and hands on (in the store) to either the similar Stihl or Husq. But given there is clearly some issue here, I think it's fair I share this information. The dealer is offering me a new 5105. But regardless, the manufacturer and the distributer are clearly trying to direct blame elsewhere. Neither admits to any kind of air filtration issue, even though the replacement filter has changed (they now block off the atmospheric opening in the top of the carb). The distributer even told me dirt inside the filter is by design!!! Meanwhile the dealer and another in the area both have a combined 10 5100s with similar issues. The manufacturer reps points to all the other possible causes -- too much ethanol, bad gas, not using 50:1 oil, Opti 2 at it's prescribed 70:1 pouch ratio, too lean of mixture (epa restriction) and so on. Various other websites highly recommend the Dolmar, and for the most part, I'd agree in general. But something is clearly wrong with the 5100 model. I ran a gallon of gas through it

-- and something caused piston/cylinder damage! I have a Poulan hedge trimmer and a Sear lawnmower with B/S engine, and I have run year old gas through them and they are 15+ years old and still chugging away. I realize the mower is not 2 stroke, but still -- c'mon, a saw that ran for less than 10 hours and had piston/cylinder damage????

If it's my opti2 at 70:1 -- great -- let me know, and I'll change. If it's my year old gas with stabilizer -- fine -- let me know, and I'll change. If it's too lean because of EPA-- wonderful -- let me know, and tell me how make it richer and I'll make the change. If it's because of a poor air filter design -- admit it -- give me the new saw I bought -- and I'll move on.

Reply to
kh fami