Dog eating house

Page 2 of 2

"Oren" wrote

Hehehehe!
Ohh! No!

Yup. Took time to get Charlotte (14YO 2 foot type) to learn that. I kinda picked up right away (horrible as it sounds I did some googling at SPCA sites and their recommended ones and such, before getting a dog as I'd only cat experience). It worked as my husband has had dogs most of his life before getting married and he says a few of the things I read even helped him a bit.
Our Dog still isnt well leash trained as for pulling, but he's well behaved in all other ways with the occasional gaff like eating the PS2 controller (we left him alone too long and he knew *we* played with it so must be a toy!).

In Puppy 101, they should have taught you that puppies need activities and things to chew on--just like adult dogs.
Buy a "bitter apple" product (to combat chewing of inappropriate things) at any good pet supply store; and while you're there, get him some squeaky toys, a knotted rope, a Kong for loading with peanut butter, and a good supply of basted rawhide. Always offer one of those items, whenever you finding him chewing on something inappropriate.
Goldens are intelligent, high-energy dogs. If you don't burn off the energy and provide amusement, they will devise their own amusement.
___________________ A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.

LOL, I didn't mean to give the impression that I'm a first-time dog owner, or that this chewing the house thing has been going on-and-on. We've had a steady stream of healthy, happy dogs since the 70's, and this is actually our third Golden.
In my original post I mentioned that she chewed on furniture as a young pup, but that stopped months ago. She never chewed on an exterior part of the house until just now, when the entire garage front was replaced with cedar, and freshly painted with latex.
You'd think I did the place with marrow bones! She homes in on it the moment she's let out, stops when told to, then goes back at it the minute the old back is turned. This isn't a city lot, but a 12 acre farm with another 14 acres across the street - two ponds and a stream, and a lake across the way. We have horses, donkeys, sheep, goats, and a couple of llamas, and she has a world's worth of bunnies, squirrels and ducks to chase.
She likes that wood, though, and i think it's the latex paint. I gave her a piece of cedar to gnaw on, and she did, but it could have been any old stick. Now the paint has been on for a few days, and it's rained a few times, and she's less interested.
The painter still has a way to go in 'dog' territory, so I picked up some snow fence today to keep the dog out of range. If she goes back at the garage and starts eating again, then maybe it's time she became a barn dog.
I just worry about her eating things that aren't food, and creating great vet bills.
thanks for all the tips, Keith
ps: That Dog Whisperer book bites. I bought it, and there isn't a word in there about raising dogs; it's just a 200+ page ad for the TV show and the author. We're in an un-cabled area, and this is one more reason I'm glad of that.

There are probably various solutions but when a horse eats its stall, that is generally caused by a vitamin deficiency. Could be something like that re the dog.
I would get him some dog multivitamins and examine his diet. The other solutions such as putting something distasteful on the wood have probably already been covered elsewhere in this thread.
Claire and John
The fresh fragrance of cedar is just too hard for the dog to resist. hmmmm......maybe you can build the dog his own little hut made out of the cedar. Then he's allowed to chew on that, while you keep him away from the real house.
K wrote:

You could try applying something like:
http://www.nixalite.com/ropel.aspx#How_does_Ropel_work
to the house. This is an extremely bitter substance that will quickly discourage chewing.