Does it harm a self propelled mower to be pulled back with the drive disengaged?

I am looking at buying a self propelled lawnmower and was a store today and the clerk said that is hard on the mower when you pull it back. So if I cut forward into a tight area I would need to pull it back also. He showed my on a model he had, don't recall the brand, and there was resistance felt and what felt like a gear click. I went to Sears and ask this question and they had not heard of that being a problem. Once the drive lever is released there didn't appear to be any resistance.
Is there merrit in the first clerks comment about the reverse thing?
Brian
I would imagine it depends on the design of the mower. I personally have never heard of such a problem, after all, what are you supposed to do when you want to pull out of a tight area or rework a bad section.

As long as the drive is released there should be no problem. I've used a self-propelled Toro for years and never had a problem going backwards once the drive was released. By the way....I highly recommend Toro. Good luck.

On May 1, 5:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@personainternet.com wrote:

Hi,
I have a Honda HRC216 HXA. When I release the clutch, the mower is in "freewheel" mode. Hence you can pull and push it. The drive is disconnected. Again it depends on the mower I guess.
I like my mower and recomend it. The only bad thing about it is the price, I think about $US 1,129 and only availabe at honda dealers, not at home depot ....
Warmest regards, Mike.
On May 1, 2:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@personainternet.com wrote:

Why would you even want to pull it back with teh drive engaged? I've seen several variations on drives and don't recall any that make it a big deal to disengage the drive.
Harry K

I didn't say that.
The clerk said and showed me that the gears on the mower were still engaged enough to resist backward pulling. Will have to go back and see what model he showed me.
Brian

When you pull it back, you must disengage the drive unit or it will be trying to go away from you. If you have a lot of tight areas, a lot of shrubs or trees to go around, get a standard push mower. I hated my self propelled on my lawn as it was just awkward to hand in tight spots. If you have lots of straight cutting, they are fine.
On 1 May 2007 14:32:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@personainternet.com wrote:

That seems strange. I pull the mower back all the time when doing around bushes, etc. and when I had a self-propelled Motor-Mower (1958 to 1964) I did the same thing with no problem.
How can one live with a mower that can't be pulled backwards?
I have seen but not used mowers that had front-wheel drive. Perhaps some of them can't disengage and depend on the user to push the handle down if he wants to back up. Was this mower front or rear drive?

Front or rear drive?

To be clear: I had to disengage the drive of course, but it was easy on that model to go back and forth.

<...snipped...>
No merritt or merit either!

On May 2, 12:10 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

My rrr key stutterrrs. :)
Brian

How hard is it on a drive train to spin tires? VERY HARD! Look for front drive where you can just lift the front wheels off the ground and pull it back. Otherwise simply disengage the drive before you need to go into and out of tight spaces.