Does gasoline break up asphalt?

.....top posting repaired...

Yep. Not as fast, obviously, but oil will soften asphalt over time if saturated.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Please don't top post...

They make patching compounds available at the Borgs and other home centers.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I recently noticed a divot in my 5 month old asphalt driveway. I had a small gas leak from my car recently and was wondering if the gas could have weakened the asphalt. Does anyone know if gasoline has this affect on asphalt?

Thank you.

Reply to
Stuart Benoff

Thank you. Yes. Gasoline is a solvent for the tar that holds the gravel in asphalt together. That's why concrete is typically used in gas stations around the pumps even though asphalt may be used in other parts of the facility.

TKM

Reply to
Stuart Benoff

Reply to
Stuart Benoff

Can't...it's too far down and I've been up here too long. :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yes. Gasoline is a solvent for the tar that holds the gravel in asphalt together. That's why concrete is typically used in gas stations around the pumps even though asphalt may be used in other parts of the facility.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

The only one that works is to dig it out until you find solid stuff and refill it. If it is not too large one of the "patch" materials may work, but if the rest of your drive is in good condition, I suggest getting a paving company out to do it right using hot patch as the cold patch materials will not hold up all that well.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

According to Stuart Benoff :

As others have mentioned, it can have this effect.

However, a small leak reasonably quickly diagnosed, will _usually_ not result in any long term damage, other than the asphalt being discoloured (blacker) and a bit soft/sticky for a while (days up to a week or two) until the gas evaporates.

[As the gas drips onto the asphalt, some of it is absorbed by the asphalt softening it, and some of it evaporates. Once the dripping stops, the asphalt will slowly outgas the gasoline it absorbed and re-harden in the process.]

The divot may be a defect in the installation. Without seeing it, there's no way to tell. If it looks like a chunk broke out, it'll probably be a installation problem, if it looks more melted/deformed, it'll be the gasoline.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Reply to
Noozer

ZAP!!

: > > Please get off your high horse. : > >

: >

: > Can't...it's too far down and I've been up here too long. :) : :

Reply to
Pop

Why dont you learn hois to use the newsgroups before you post this crap. HTML is NOT acceptable.

Reply to
anoldfart2

..nod

Pissy, self-appointed Netkops who whine about top-posting and other such non-issues might as well take out a full page ad in USA Today announcing that they've got no life, several cats, a laughably tiny pecker and most likely a lifetime membership in NAMBLA.

Anyone who's too f****ng stupid to understand what's being responded to should be taken out of the gene pool anyway.

Reply to
Springer

Reply to
Springer

Reply to
Springer

I mean, does it piss you off in deep down way? Or just sort of mildly irritate you?

Reply to
Springer

Actually, asphalt is made from petroleum. So, both gasoline and motor oil will affect it.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bucket of sealer stuff from the hardware might help.

How about call a paving company and ask?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon