Does anyone listen to "America's Handiman" Glen Haege on AM radio (WJR?)

Just curious if anyone listens to Glen Haege ("Hagy") radio broadcast (it's either Saturday or Sunday morning) on AM radio. I don't know if it's syndicated across the country, or just broadcast on Detroit's WJR.

I was just looking at his website, wondering how to ask him a question about what he knows about painting a roof white to lower attic heat and reduce cooling expense, but I really can't find any way to ask a question via his website.

I found a page that lists "Most recent Ask Glenn topics", but the last one seems to be Dec 28/2010 (nothing for 2011).

It's somewhat troubling to see that this last question was this:

"I have galvanized water pipes in my home and want to replace them. Can you recommend a company that would install PEX water lines? I am assuming that they would be less costly to install than copper."

And his answer was this:

"Installing PEX is a really good decision. "

I can find no other reference to PEX on his website. I would think that the PEX lawsuit would be mentioned somewhere.

Reply to
Home Guy

There have been lawsuits about particular kinds of fittings used with PEX. Of course none of those fittings would be used in a new job.

Why do you think the lawsuits should be mentioned?

Maybe you should "Ask Glenn"?

Reply to
despen

Your expectations may be unrealistic.

  1. The questioner ask that a particular company be recommended. Next to no broadcasters do this: many announce that they will not or cannot. It is safe to assume this broadcaster follows majority policy, but was willing to say he approved the proposed refit.
  2. In a broadcast or web site focussed on house repair technology, lawsuits about such technology (but with no connection to this particular broadcaster or web site) are of marginal interest. No one prevents the webmaster from adding such information, but no one can expect a reply to add such information if nowhere requested.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

Where is this mysterious "PEX lawsuit"? The only lawsuit I'm aware of is against one particular brand and type of fittings commonly used with PEX tubing, nothing against the PEX tubing or the many other brands and types of fittings available. Your exaggeration is rather like claiming a "car lawsuit" in reference to one bad part on one brand of car.

Reply to
Pete C.

There's at least two companies involved in the lawsuit. Zurn, and Uponor. Pex has been used in the US for 20 years, 40 years in Europe. There's nothing wrong with the tubing, just some brass fittings by the above companies. Apparently those fittings contained zinc in the brass before being cast. The zinc was the problem.

Reply to
willshak

He's only paid for the time he's in front of a microphone, and it probably isn't all that much. You might get some advice out of him if you corner him in a Home Depot, but he's not going to waste any of his "me" time answering lame online posts.

That indicates the unpaid college intern who was maintaining the website probably had to leave because his internship was over.

That's assuming he knows everything about everything.

Reply to
mkirsch1

Oh, and it took me all of two seconds to find this information on his website. Maybe you can't post a question ON the website, but you can call in, write him a letter (the US Postal Service needs your support now more than ever!), send him a fax or an email:

CONTACTS

For Answers to your Home Improvement Questions:

Call 1-866-ASK-GLENN (1-866-275-4536) on Saturday mornings,10 a.m. to

12 noon (eastern)

To send a letter to Glenn Haege:

Address your mail to: Glenn Haege, Handyman Show, P.O. Box 1498, Royal Oak, MI 48068-1498 (Note: due to volume received, Glenn will be unable to provide you with a personal response)

To send an e-mail message to Glenn Haege:

Send email to: snipped-for-privacy@MasterHandyman.com (Note: due to volume received, Glenn is not able to respond personally)

To contact the Executive Producer:

Call Rob David, 248-305-5995 or email to: snipped-for-privacy@MasterHandyman.com (not for home improvement questions)

To send a correction for a telephone number in our phone list:

Send email to: snipped-for-privacy@MasterHandyman.com

To purchase one of Glenn Haege's Books: Go to Book Store or call 1-888- HANDY-81 1-888-426-3981) to order.

To Send Press Release information, mail to:

The Handyman Show with Glenn Haege

1224 Rankin St. Troy, MI 48083
Reply to
mkirsch1

If it's brass, it contains zinc. The zinc wasn't the problem so much as the amount of zinc.

Reply to
HeyBub

He recommends local contractors and hardware stores by name quite often....

Reply to
Rick

Yes, I was going to answer Don by telling him the same thing.

At least on air, Glen frequently points callers to local companies or suppliers for services or products.

He provides people with VERY "actionable" information, and detailed instructions as to how to carry out a task.

"Don Phillipson" continued:

Informing home owners that they might be members of a class-action suite is or could be a very important piece of the home-handiman puzzle, so yes, I expect that anyone with knowledge of the home construction and repair industry and makes his living as being an "interface" between that industry and the public would mention the PEX-fittings lawsuit when-ever the subject of PEX was raised, in any venue (on air, on a web-site, etc) and/or would mention to be aware of the brand or composition of PEX fittings to be used for new installations.

There are very few products or services that rise to the level of the installed base and the cost-to-repair in the home products industry as this PEX-fittings fiasco.

Reply to
Some Guy