Do you ever ............ ?

Page 1 of 5
Wake up at two in the morning with your head going 90 mph, and you can't sleep. Your body crawls like you were in a bed of earthworms. You just want to get up and go for a ten mile run. No sleeping. No shutting off the deadlines, or the HoneyDew lists, or the regular list of things you make for yourself?
Not restless leg, but whole body anxiety, like the feeling you have when you just got missed by a car that was going sixty miles an hour. That shuddering sensation. But it doesn't go away.
Was supposed to go to the doctor today, but when I looked, it was for NEXT Thursday. Shit.
Ideas? Suggestions?
Steve
On 01/02/2014 03:17 PM, SteveB wrote:

See if your doctor can move your appointment up... and definitely stay off the coffee
On 1/2/2014 4:40 PM, philo wrote:

I've not had it that badly, but some times I do wake up with ideas or bad dreams. When that happens, I go to the computer, and post some more on AHR.
Coming up on the one month aniversary of my father's death. I've seen and talked with him a couple times in dreams, while I was asleep. Tough waking up and realized it's just a dream.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/02/2014 05:39 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry about your father, mine has been gone for 25 years.
I am often filled with energy so I just put it to use.
I am usually up at 4am and do all my chores, post on Usenet and work on computers in my basement workshop.
By 8 am I am usually good and tired and go back to bed for a few hours. When I wake up again...all my chores are done and it's like it all happened in a dream!
My wife thinks I'm nuts and she's right.
On 1/2/2014 7:05 PM, philo wrote:

Dad was in hospice for a while, but I thought he had longer. Ah, well. But gld to hear that your chores and such get done.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/02/2014 06:44 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My father expressed that he never wanted a lingering illness and at age 63 he dropped dead of a heart attack.
His diet consisted mainly of fatty meat. Though I was not a huge meat eater...I decided to go the chicken and fish route.
Like I said, that was 25 years ago.
When I got my knees replaced 18 months ago I had to undergo a thorough heart examination and they said I was in great shape.
Who knows, maybe my father's ill fortune saved me.
On 1/2/2014 6:05 PM, philo wrote:

I actually went out on a job today with my roommate. I had converted a D-Link DIR-615 Wireless-N Router, with a 4 port switch into an access point for a customer who owns a restaurant where he and management use iPads and iPhones in the kitchen area. I set him up a separate network from his general wireless network used by customers and it's on his POS network which is separated from the network used by customers. I found the wireless router in a junk pile in an equipment room a few years ago when me and JH were installing a T1 interface for a customer. The thing has a 2010 date code on it so it was fairly new and I took it home and adopted it until I found another newer castaway Linksys Wireless-N router. I got down on my hands and knees under a desk to tie into the back office network which caused me blinding pain but later we dropped by a couple of stores so I could pick up items I needed and walking around the first store hurt a lot with me using the shopping cart as a walker. When we got to the next store I wasn't hurting as bad and didn't have to use the shopping cart there as much for support as when I was at the first store. Getting out and moving around definitely helps me a lot. Today I'm going over to the house belonging to the widow of my late friend GB to find out what's wrong with the central heat. Hopefully it's something simple and won't cost anything to repair. Dang it's cold for this part of the country. 21°F Heat Index 7°F right now at 5:15am. My Yankee cousins laugh at that temperature and my Canadian cousins would be walking around in shorts. ^_^
TDD

Last night, I went to bed with 6 inches of heavy, bitter cold snow on the side porch. Not much more over night (looking out the window at vehicle roof). I can't remember what it is, but 21F sounds warm, compared. It's some like nine degrees F, out there.
Does the cold make your aches and pains worse? Does me, but mostly due to shoveling snow.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

When it gets cold enough the snow shovelling problem goes away. At -27C it's too damn cold to snow!!!!
On 1/3/2014 7:57 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, I'm sure I'd do much the same. Says 9F out there, when I got up. I'm going to wait and see if it warms up a bit, before I go out.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 1/3/2014 8:01 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

My snow shovel worker showed up, so I paid him and went out to help shovel and snow blow. It's been seven minutes,adn my fintgers are still sore from cold.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 01/03/2014 07:37 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Huh
I am 64 years old, have had both knees replaced and I still shovel my own snow by hand. It's -2F now and I was out there twice yesterday.
Time for you to get some better gloves.
BTW: If you think I'm industrious, I'm not. In the summer I don't cut the grass and in the fall I don't rake the leaves...I let my yard have that natural look.
On 1/3/2014 8:51 AM, philo wrote:

I'm 68 and used the electric start on the snow blower. My fingers were cold by the time I was done too.
Next week I see the Ortho doctor about my knees.
On 01/03/2014 09:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

From the time I first had minor knee problems until the time I needed to get them replaced was more than 20 years. I hope it's only now that your problems are beginning.
The 10-15 years that I jogged is probably what did me in.
On 1/3/2014 10:11 AM, philo wrote:

I've done very little jogging and that was 40 years ago. I've had arthritis for at least five years and getting wore, but I think a long way off to replacement. My doc suggested seeing the Ortho guy for possible gel shots.
On 01/03/2014 10:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Prior to getting my knees replaced I tried all other alternatives.
The Synvisc shots helped a bit and I probably could have gotten by if I was not still working. I was a service engineer and the equipment I had to work on required me to kneel or to climb most of the time.
They were very expensive and though I had insurance, for me they were not worth it. If your insurance covers it ...it could help.
In my situation I had one knee with about 60% cartilage loss and the other with about 75% loss.
I also got Cortisone shots and they worked even better, but that was only a temporary solution as there is a limit to how many one can have.
For the most part, I was OK with just taking aspirin or Tylenol ...but obviously I did not want to be on that for the rest of my life.
One other thing I did was to take a vegetable extract supplement called Greek Island. I assumed it to be a scam but I was willing to try anything...and it actually helped a lot and bought me one full year.
Those glucosamine & chondroitin capsules did absolutely nothing.

Taking vitamin d has definitely helped me through the winter. A few years go my hip was killing me. It's highly improved. Other joints too.
Greg
On 01/03/2014 08:24 PM, gregz wrote:

My wife has studied quite a few vitamin supplements and vitamin d is one of the few know to actually be useful. It certainly cannot hurt to try it.
On 1/3/2014 9:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I parked cars in Vegas for about ten years when the lots were short, and they didn't use the electric carts and elevators of today. Plus running up and down ten flights of stairs on drilling platforms. I turned the corner the other day, and thought one of my dogs had given me a knee shot from the side. It is still sore. One needs to be operated on, but that was 5 years ago. It's the same one. I don't want any more elective surgeries, particularly any complicated ones like knees. But we'll have to see what the future holds. I hope my ticket gets punched before I reach that chapter in my life.
Steve
On 01/03/2014 11:38 AM, SteveB wrote:

I was pretty fortunate, I had both knees replaced at once because I just wanted to get it all taken care of. I had an absolute minimum amount of pain and between the hospital and the rehab unit I was home in 9 days.
If I did not have a lot of stairs in my house, I could have even been home sooner. The healing went well but I lost a lot of flexibility and was forced to retire from my job. Since I was unable to perform my job functions and since I was 63, I got full Social Security disability without the slightest hassle.
My doctor was able to perform minor arthroscopic surgery and get me a bit more flexibility...and it's certainly a tremendous improvement from how I was before. No pain meds of any type and I can be on my feet all day and walk again. Well worth it.
My doctor was just a bit apologetic about the loss of flexibility and me not being able to go back to work. I assured him I was quite fine with it. After 38 years I was just plain sick of working.