Do you ever ............ ?

Wake up at two in the morning with your head going 90 mph, and you can't sleep. Your body crawls like you were in a bed of earthworms. You just want to get up and go for a ten mile run. No sleeping. No shutting off the deadlines, or the HoneyDew lists, or the regular list of things you make for yourself?

Not restless leg, but whole body anxiety, like the feeling you have when you just got missed by a car that was going sixty miles an hour. That shuddering sensation. But it doesn't go away.

Was supposed to go to the doctor today, but when I looked, it was for NEXT Thursday. Shit.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

See if your doctor can move your appointment up... and definitely stay off the coffee

Reply to
philo

Get up and eat something or get in the shop and use that energy to work on your project(s). It's also a good indication that you need more exercise during the day.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I'm sure you could find something here to take your mind off what ever bothers you.

Gordon Shumway

What's on the deadline list? On the HoneyDo list?

Anxiety? Hyperthyroid? This is only at night? Can it be sleep apnea? On Rx meds, alcohol, caffeine? Weight, and BP in normal range? Weight loss or gain? I won't add distant possibilities, as you have enough on your mind, for sure. I've seen panic attacks, up close and personal, described as fear that the person feels they might be dying....nothing wrong with going to an ER if that kind of stuff is going on. I have had one panic attack myself, during a time stress was maxing out (very little of my life has been stress-free, and that must be very similar to being dead.)...it hit suddenly, and I really couldn't move. I was crying and calling for help; fortunately, in hind sight, nobody saw me :o)

Also nothing wrong with calling doc and trying to move up appointment; not too many offices take on urgent issues; just want to send you to the Er.

Reply to
Norminn

I've not had it that badly, but some times I do wake up with ideas or bad dreams. When that happens, I go to the computer, and post some more on AHR.

Coming up on the one month aniversary of my father's death. I've seen and talked with him a couple times in dreams, while I was asleep. Tough waking up and realized it's just a dream.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Could be many reasons from diet to bad rituals/habits.

Certain foods (fatty foods) can cause insomnia and/or restless sleep along with inconsistent eating habits.

Irregular bedtime hours.

Smoking before bedtime.

Lack of exercise.

emitting lights such as a night light.

Raised body temperature/bed too warm.

Medication.

Watching tv prior to bed.

These are some issues which could result in what you are experiencing.

I don't believe in taking meds unless it's the LAST RESORT.

If you don't exercise, try stretching muscles throughout the day and prior to bed. It helps the body relax and avoid the restless leg syndrome. If you don't exercise, I suggest starting, even if mild. Studies indicate even mild exercise aids in sound sleep.

Meditation can also help release the anxiety. Learning to relax and focus on non-stressful scenarios will eliminate the marathon running mind.

Sometimes there just isn't anything one can do to avoid a restless night. That's when it may be time for a pill or serious shot of tequila. But be ready for a slight hangover.

Overall, I have great success with meditation and exercising. Keeping the body and mind in shape allows me great sleep.

Reply to
Meanie

Are you taking any medications before bedtime?

Reply to
willshak

Sorry about your father, mine has been gone for 25 years.

I am often filled with energy so I just put it to use.

I am usually up at 4am and do all my chores, post on Usenet and work on computers in my basement workshop.

By 8 am I am usually good and tired and go back to bed for a few hours. When I wake up again...all my chores are done and it's like it all happened in a dream!

My wife thinks I'm nuts and she's right.

Reply to
philo

I get this way from STRESS:( tends to occur in winter. Docs tell me I have seasonal effective disorder.

In the past a visit to warm sunny area like florida or the caribean helps....

sunny warm with lots of activity....

I become very non productive and just want to crawl into bed, with blanket over my head.

Wierdly I think I have always been this way, but its getting worse as I get older i am 57 this month

Reply to
bob haller

My gray, cloudy neighborhood used to bother me a whole lot more than now....Now, I really look forward to whatever the changing weather brings. Darn cold, windy, about 8" of snow on the ground and I actually enjoy going out to shovel snow....I think part of the enjoyment is knowing most people of my age can't do it any more. When the snow is gone, I'll be checking the koi pond for baby bullfrogs and starting plants for the garden.

Buy a couple of orchid plants, christmas cactus, or potted azaleas. Learn to care for them...they bloom in winter and might brighten your day. Always good to have something to look forward to.

As for Florida, the sun, warmth and geography are wonderful; the freaking human inhabitants spoil it.

Reply to
Norminn

Dad was in hospice for a while, but I thought he had longer. Ah, well. But gld to hear that your chores and such get done.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

in winter. Docs tell me I have seasonal effective disorder.

florida or the caribean helps....

crawl into bed, with blanket over my head.

but its getting worse as I get older i am 57 this month

I was out driving today, and the snow and hard pack snow was stress. Came home to take a nap.

Wow, 57, that's grampa age.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I had symptoms similar to yours. Fortunately I saw Dr. Lustig's piece on 60 Minutes.

This video saved my life! Seriously!

Fred

My father expressed that he never wanted a lingering illness and at age 63 he dropped dead of a heart attack.

His diet consisted mainly of fatty meat. Though I was not a huge meat eater...I decided to go the chicken and fish route.

Like I said, that was 25 years ago.

When I got my knees replaced 18 months ago I had to undergo a thorough heart examination and they said I was in great shape.

Who knows, maybe my father's ill fortune saved me.

Reply to
philo

call the doctors office for an emergency appt or call your insurance plans advice nurse

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Maybe Obama had his policy cancelled and he is S.O.L. thanks you ignorant leftys.

P.S.: When I use spell check and it gets to "Obama" and I hit "Ignore" I just wish it could really be that easy.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I just got my first orchid plant to re-bloom, the second one is on it's way. Christmas Cactus we've had for years, they bloom all winter, they're great.

But Azaleas? Do they need a lot of light? How often do they bloom?

Reply to
Dan Espen

I drink one cup a day, and they can't even move up my cancer surgery date, and I am in an "increased risk" group.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I take six on rising, and eight at bedtime. As directed by the doctor.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB