Do they make a flexible style romex or electrical cable ?

Page 1 of 2
I need to replace a power cord on my welder. It's #8 wire and the original cord is nice and flexible, but all I can seem to find is the solid copper rigid stuff.
Mark wrote:

Where are you looking? There is specific welding cable for the purpose.

original cord

Look for SO or SJ cord. Your not going to like the price. The box stores may not have it. An electrical wholesaler surely would.

Home Depot has both

SJ is light-medium outdoor duty. If the cord is going to be "abused" (walked on, taken outdoors, get wet, lying on gravel/metal grit, hit with lotsa sparks etc), I'd recommend _against_ using SJ or dryer/stove cord. If it's never going to move, and the cord is out of the way, _then_ SJ or dryer/stove cord is okay.
SJ sheathing doesn't like UV very much, and the sheath is less puncture proof than you want.
SO or SOW is what I'd use for a large welder unless the wire is protected. _Much_ tougher stuff.
The "premium" wire for this is TECK cable - rubber-sheathed armor cable with stranded conductors. It's what they use in mines, and power distribution for things like carnival rides or outdoor concerts... Expensive as all getout, special order.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Thanks for the tip. But what does SO and SJ mean? What would you guess 25' is going to cost?

rigid
Actually you will probably have better luck referring to it by the "trade name"
CABTIRE
Most any electrical supply's can sell you short cuts as long as you need.
The SO or SJ just refer to the type of covering construction and materials.
Some can be run over with construction equipment and never suffer (crushproof) others are oil/chemical resistant etc.
prices depend on the quality of the coverings but sounds like you could get away with the cheapest stuff.
This link should explain a lot
http://hillsupplies.com/cgi-bin/search/subproducts.pl?qsP11&sb=commodit&d &ft=1
AMUN

Probably about the same as 25 gallons of gas these days. You wont find a Range cord that long.
says...

It's a rubber jacketed stranded wire cable. I believe SO insulation is rated at 300V, where SJ is 600V. For 220V (8/3 w/ground) operation, I think you need SJ.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;-) I bought some 12/2 w/ground SO at the BORG last weekend for a little over $1/ft. I'd be surprised if 8/3 was less than $6/7 per foot.
--
Keith

SJ is medium duty. SO is heavy duty. SOW is "heavy duty, wet locations".
SO is to be preferred. I'd only recommend SJ if the welder was going to be stationary, and you can keep the cord out of the way of getting cut/hit/splattered/walked on.
The heavy-duty "contractor duty" extension cords[*] you find at the Borg are SO or SOW.
SJ is the step below "contractor duty", and a step above the thin orange-ribbed stuff (light duty). Zip cord is a step below the orange stuff ;-)
You don't need /3 for a welder. /2 will do. /3 in flexible cord is pretty exotic stuff (combined 240/120 devices) except for 4 wire ranges and dryers (preassembled cords).
[There's actually a whole host of "S" series specifications. S, SO, SOW, SJ, SJO, SJOW etc. SJ prefix are medium duty. The "S" are heavier. O means outdoor (ie: UV/freezing resistance). W means wet. etc.]

A welder isn't going to need /3. It sounds like SO (or SJ) 8/2 would be the best choice.
I _suspect_ you'd pay around $3-4/foot for SO 8/2. Some years ago, I paid $1.50/ft for SO 10/2.
Keep it as short as you can get away with.
NOTE that "Northern" (aka "Northern Hydraulics") probably has welder replacement cords for a bit less than you can cobble them together yourself.
[*] The fat things that come in all sorts of pretty colours, massive molded connectors, and cost an arm and a leg.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 17:22:29 -0000, snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com (Chris Lewis) wrote:

J is for Junior, 300v insulation vs 600 for SO.
snipped-for-privacy@nortelnetworks.com says...

Interesting enough to look up. ;-)
http://www.stagelight.com/toolbox/cabspec.htm
Apparently SJ is lighter S (S = stranded), as you say. The 'O' is for "oil resistant".
<snip>

I thought the SO had 8/3 and was replacing it. Still, 600V is needed, IMO.

And/or go up a size.

;-)
--
Keith

What about cords for electric driers or ranges?
Perce
On 09/01/05 10:21 am Mark tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

What about them? Not the same thing as welding cable...
OP just needs to go to full-line electrical supply or a welding supply.

He was wanting POWER cable not welding cable. I use a range cord on mine. WW

Warren Weber wrote:

Yeah, I saw that after I posted...made a followup but obviously you hadn't seen it yet.
It's called "welding cable". Search for it.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

???
"I need to replace a power cord..."
We're now in a mode of that's what I told OP but others noticed the OP's request wasn't for welding cable at all---as I also noted in a followup already, some manufacturers might use the same cable for the power cable as well.
On 1 Sep 2005 08:20:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

NO No No.........
He wants the POWER CORD for a welder. I thought the message was clearly written....
Mark
Duane Bozarth wrote:

Well, I just noticed I overlooked the power cord portion---though the was looking ro replace welding cable. Power line cable should be ok altho if it is a very flexible cord, it may well be the welding cable as well, not a power cord which typically is stranded, but larger strands.