Do they make a flexible style romex or electrical cable ?

It's called "welding cable". Search for it.

Reply to
scott21230

He was wanting POWER cable not welding cable. I use a range cord on mine. WW

Reply to
Warren Weber

Where are you looking? There is specific welding cable for the purpose.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

What about them? Not the same thing as welding cable...

OP just needs to go to full-line electrical supply or a welding supply.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Well, I just noticed I overlooked the power cord portion---though the was looking ro replace welding cable. Power line cable should be ok altho if it is a very flexible cord, it may well be the welding cable as well, not a power cord which typically is stranded, but larger strands.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Look for SO or SJ cord. Your not going to like the price. The box stores may not have it. An electrical wholesaler surely would.

Reply to
SQLit

Yeah, I noticed that after the previous post...I made a followup but you probably haven't seen it yet. Sorry...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Yeah, I saw that after I posted...made a followup but obviously you hadn't seen it yet.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I need to replace a power cord on my welder. It's #8 wire and the original cord is nice and flexible, but all I can seem to find is the solid copper rigid stuff.

Reply to
Mark

What about cords for electric driers or ranges?

Perce

On 09/01/05 10:21 am Mark tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

???

"I need to replace a power cord..."

We're now in a mode of that's what I told OP but others noticed the OP's request wasn't for welding cable at all---as I also noted in a followup already, some manufacturers might use the same cable for the power cable as well.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

On 09/01/05 10:35 am Duane Bozarth tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

It seemed to me that he was talking about the power cord from the welder to the power outlet, not the cables from the welder to the work and the rod holder.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Home Depot has both

Reply to
gfretwell

8/3 SO if you can find it (and afford it)
Reply to
Rick

Yes, that's what I need. I need to replace the cable that plugs in to the

50A outlet. I suppose I convoluted it by saying that it was for a welder.
Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the tip. But what does SO and SJ mean? What would you guess

25' is going to cost?
Reply to
Mark

SJ is light-medium outdoor duty. If the cord is going to be "abused" (walked on, taken outdoors, get wet, lying on gravel/metal grit, hit with lotsa sparks etc), I'd recommend _against_ using SJ or dryer/stove cord. If it's never going to move, and the cord is out of the way, _then_ SJ or dryer/stove cord is okay.

SJ sheathing doesn't like UV very much, and the sheath is less puncture proof than you want.

SO or SOW is what I'd use for a large welder unless the wire is protected. _Much_ tougher stuff.

The "premium" wire for this is TECK cable - rubber-sheathed armor cable with stranded conductors. It's what they use in mines, and power distribution for things like carnival rides or outdoor concerts... Expensive as all getout, special order.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Actually you will probably have better luck referring to it by the "trade name"

CABTIRE

Most any electrical supply's can sell you short cuts as long as you need.

The SO or SJ just refer to the type of covering construction and materials.

Some can be run over with construction equipment and never suffer (crushproof) others are oil/chemical resistant etc.

prices depend on the quality of the coverings but sounds like you could get away with the cheapest stuff.

This link should explain a lot

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Great idea.

To the OP, go to an appliance store and see if they have any junker ranges. Cut off the cord and you got a FREE power cord. Most of those stores are happy to get rid of junk. I am always chopping cords off the junkers at my local appliance store. They told me to take all I want. Dryer cords may or may not be thick enough. Check the gauge of wire. Do not use wire SMALLER than #8.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

NO No No.........

He wants the POWER CORD for a welder. I thought the message was clearly written....

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff