Do I need a permit/inspection for any electrical work?

Page 2 of 3
Let me get this straight, you would argue over a minor fee for a permit? The permit lets you receive a 2nd opinion on the work you have done. Seeing how it's so inexpensive why not just do it.
In Toronto Canada a fire alarm company was fined for removing a smoke detector head (equivalent of taking down a light socket) and replaced with same type. The electrical authority fined them for not having a permit.
This has since been modified to allow this work without having to get a permit. But imagine not being able to replace a light socket without a permit.
As another poster mentioned, would this be strictly monitored. Probably not until you burned your home down by doing something silly.

A couple of reasons. If the job is minor and the person, even the homeowner, is reasonably competent, there is no need for an inspection and the associated fee for adding a receptacle, changing a fixture, etc.
Watch how much electrical and plumbing supplies are sold on a given day at any Home Dept, Crappy Tire etc. Imagine the amount of paperwork required and the cost of issuing all those permits and making all those inspections. Town hall would be mobbed.
There are times, though, when a person must be saved from themselves. Years ago I was working at a fairly new house. I was doing a door installation but the homeowner was starting to finish the basement. He wired four receptacles using lamp cord! I pointed them out to his wife and I'm hoping it was changed. Yes, there are truly stupid people out there.
Justin West wrote:

BHHAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! FUCKING PRICELESS!!! THE FOOLS JUST KEEP ON A COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BHHAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
I CAN'T!!!!!!!!! BHAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BBHHHHAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWAAAAAAAWWWWWWWAAAAAAW!!!!!!!!!!!1
STOP IT!!!
YOU'RE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND I THOUGHT YOU CANADIAN WANKERS DIDN'T HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOR!!!

That was work for hire, totally different thing.

Krackle krackle. Squalk. and insert blabbing horn sound of Charley Brown's teacher. Amature. Long way to go before you can catch up to the "ex" with slam comments.

No. I think the OP's Q was are you SUPPOSE to. If you actually do it, that is pretty lame.
Al Bundy wrote:

Correct. A day late and dollar short but, correct.

The answer is NO.

Non sequitur.
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

That's OK, I failed out of rocket science my freshman year of college. Of course, the University of Delaware called it "Honors Aerospace Engineering".
You need to be more specific in your response, instead of vague and insulting.
Point is, even a licensed electrician can get things wrong. The licensed electrician who had done work on the house we bought (before the previous owner's estate sold it) had reversed polarity in nearly every room in the house. The electrician we had out to fix it created another problem the inspectors caught.
So if you're replacing a light switch or outlet, be DAMNED sure you know what you're doing, or call a licensed electrician. If you're doing anything more complicated than that, call an electrician.
And if you're unsure, yeah, call your local municipality's code enforcement office - simply Google the name of your municipality (county, city, township, whatever) and "inspection" or "inspectors" and you can find who to contact.
Kyle wrote:

Just because you don't know how to do more than replace a light switch or outlet, doesn't mean that no one else does. And apparently from your own statements above, licensed electricians are capable of doing work wrong too. I sure as hell wouldn't have reversed hots and neutrals all over the place.

Kyle wrote:

Stick to macrame, fool.

What isn't specific enough about, "NO, you don't need a stinking permit/inspector to replace a switch and receptacle", fool?

Non sequitur, fool.

Didn't you get a home inspection before buying, fool? Did you hire a fool to do your home inspection, fool?

What problem could possibly be created by switching two wires around, fool? You sound like a fool and a LIAR.

Or call anybody with an IQ over 80. You obviously don't qualify.

Expecially if you're a fool, fool.

Look in the blue pages, fool.
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

Fascinating. Just fascinating. I have this image in my mind of a pasty, pimply-faced sunken chested scrawny 16 year old white kid who can't frighten a housefly who in his fantasy of fantasies wants to be a big robust black guy with a mohawk, feather earrings, lots of bling, and a propensity to scare the crap out of pasty, pimply-faced sunken-chested scrawny 16 year old white kids.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

You retards are easily entertained.

One too many trips, eh retard?

Your delusions are meaningless. You are aware of that, aren't you?
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

"retard"? Sorry, I overestimated your age--make it about 12.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

I call 'em as I see 'em.

Bhaaaawwwwaaaawaaaaa!!!
Another original brain fart.
Aren't you the creative one?
Don't worry, though.
Nobody expects much from people like you.
TheNIGHTCRAWLER wrote:

As an experiment to see if you come back with a sock puppet, <plonk>.
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
J. Clarke wrote:

Sock puppet?
Wow! Did you just make that up?
Your creativity is just flowing!
BTW, have you ever had an original thought in your whole pathetic life?
Don't worry, though.
Nobody expects much from people like you.
LOL, normally I'd let all these messages pass without a comment. But that was priceless.. Well said.
J. Clarke wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:

[Sigh] Yeah. The Intarwebs are filled with NIGHTCRAWLER's type of arrogant, un-informed hostility. My guess is either like yours, or he's a 36 year old vo-tech who thinks he knows everything about home repair and construction...and has lots of white-man hostility about the liberals, the terrrrists and illegal immigrants, thinks Rush Limbaugh is always right, and is probably deeply confused by the fact there's more than one street named Peachtree in his city.
I have an image in my mind of him standing at a protest dressed in dirty shorts and a ratty t-shirt, holding a sign that says "Get a brain, morans [sic]!"
Usually I attempt to rise above such provocations, but I'm Irish and have had a bad couple months fighting a losing battle against the Maryland MTA (one of their buses crushed my car when it was parked in front of my house and they refuse to reimburse me for the normal costs of replacing the car), and since it came as a part of someone else's post let me take some time to demonstrate to NIGHTCRAWLER that I am obviously a drooling imbecile incapable of tying my own shoes while he should be elevated to godhood and we should all bow to his obviously superior intellect.
When I wrote:

TheNIGHTCRAWLER responded:

139. Master's degree, Princeton. Have had successful careers in retail management, radio and television and now an ordained pastor and Finance Analyst at Johns Hopkins University.
While that doesn't qualify me to speak with authority on home repairs, perhaps having worked for a commercial construction company and having years of personal experience with carpentry, concrete work, roofing and general home remodeling (working for my father's remodeling company part time while at seminary) gives my statement some credence.
When I opined:

TheNIGHTCRAWLER tried with:

Please explain how what I said doesn't follow from the discussion. Or could it be that you, in your great wisdom and brilliance, do not know the meaning of the Latin "non sequitur"?
When I related:

TheNIGHTCRAWLER retorted:

Re-read what I said. "the previous owner's estate sold it". The owner had died and his legal estate was selling the home.
If you knew what you pretend to about real estate law, in many states an estate sale means that any home inspection is done for information purposes only, and the estate cannot be held liable to effect repairs of a non-structure-threatening nature. Of course, the buyer always has the option to withdraw the bid contingent upon the results of the inspection, but my wife and I didn't think reversed polarity was a serious enough defect in the house to warrant that.
TheNIGHTCRAWLER has asked:

And you, sir, have just proven yourself the idiot you accuse others of being. Anyone with a basic knowledge of home electrical wiring knows that while reversed polarity does not present a danger to most appliances, light fixtures, etc., some delicate electronics can sustain damage from reversed polarity, some surge suppressors may not protect equipment against power spikes, and some equipment may not stop when shut off or start as soon as plugged in. I don't know about you, but I kinda like the idea of not burning out the nice new computer I just built, or the TV, the DVD player, my PocketPC when it's recharging the battery, etc. Nor do I want appliances or tools not shutting off when I need them to. I want my electric done properly.
See OSHA's discussion of it here: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/smallbusiness/sec14.html
Since you've shown you have little understanding of basic electrical wiring, I'm gonna take a wild guess you failed out of that vo-tech school, yes? Is that why you're so angry and feel the need to insult everyone here?
Not getting a permit will NOT void your house insurance. If you screw something up, it is an accident just like falling asleep in bed with a cigarette etc. so your insurance will still cover your house.

So they cover suicide now? I wonder if the NY explosion the other day is covered....they say the doctor was trying suicide to keep his wife from getting a 9 million dollar home. Think they will pay?
Smoking in bed to me is a form of suicide..... I get it.. we won't pay life insurance, but we cover the house.
Oren
Oren wrote:

One life insurance policy I saw specifically indicated that it excluded suicide for a two year period and otherwise covered it after that.
Pete C.