Do I have to have an electrician

Page 1 of 2
I'm replacing the exterior wall where the main electric power comes into my house. The circuit breaker box is immediately behind it (electric meter on outside). I can remove the old wall board, but havent figured out how to work around the conduit going through the wall. Must I get an electrician to disconnect the electric power to my house while I work this area.

Legal answer :::: POSSIBLY You should at least be looking for a permit. Chances are popping out exterior walls is going to draw someone's attention.
As long as you do everything to code, and get the proper permits and inspections you can certainly work on your own house without an electrician. But if you are changing nothing as far as the power/wires go, just replacing the house around it, you may not even need a permit.
.....Or you "could" just pull the meter to cut the power, and work quick. <g>
AMUN

Problem with that is getting the meter seal back in place. Power companies get fussy about that stuff.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Greetings,
What are they going to do other than tell you the seal is broken?
Thanks, William

Depends on the power company. There are legal ramifications as it is their property. If you have a decrease in use, they will probably accuse you of theft also.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Greetings,
Really? How are they going to prove in court that someone else didn't remove the seal? I could walk down the street and fill a fish jar with them.
William
Really? How are they going to prove in court that someone else didn't remove the seal? I could walk down the street and fill a fish jar with
them.
They don't have to prove it.
When the meter reader finds the seal gone, he writes it down, you get the bill.
Where I live it's $250.
You dont pay the bill, you don't get the lights.
End of story.
Matt wrote:

Greetings,
The person with electric in their name gets the bill or the owner? I normally don't put electric in my name for rental properties. If what you say about billing $250 is true I am surprised people don't do it instead of throwing a rock trough the window? Why did no one suggest it to the guy who has the neighbor's dog using his yard? There must be some way to fight the charge. What is the $250 for? It certainly isn't for the cost of the tag. I wasn't aware utilties could charge punishment fees? Am I allowed as a business to charge punishment fees to my tenants? Could I place a red button on a pedestal and tell them not to press it or I am charging $250 to "reset the button?" If so I am installing some red buttons right away!
William
The person with electric in their name gets the bill or the owner? I normally don't ..........the button? If so I am installing some red buttons right away! "
Suggestion: Go cut off the seal - see what happens.
Matt wrote:

I have had the seal replaced on mine twice and never received a charge. Just happened to notice it was broken one day while mowing the lawn and noticed a new one on it a couple months later. Second time a tree branch fell and ripped the box and pole off the house. Neighbor is an electrician and he helped me replace it. I put a new box on the wall and he clipped the wires then we put the pole back up and he reconnected them and we plugged the old meter back into the new box and a couple months later a new seal appeared on it.

This has gone on here for a few days with no real answer. It could have been answered by a quick call to the utility. Around here you just call, tell them what you are doing and they will either let your electrician cut the seal to do the work or they will send out a line man to open it at the service point. It sounds like this guy needs the latter.
Their computer is pretty good at spotting fraud. They know what your power use is cruising at.

Beats me, but they have a lot more lawyers on staff trying to justify their jobs than I do. I won't even try to play their games.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

It is illegal in most places for anyone other than a licensed electrician or power co. employee to pull the meter. If you want it pulled for some reason contact the power co. and have them send out someone to do it or coordinate resealing it with your electrician. Ask them how much $$$ first to reseal. $200 or less would be my guess.
Also consider the following option: install a piece of drywall on either side of the conduit. It will make a drywall seam from floor to ceiling around the conduit. How good are you at taping butt joints? Just cut the paper off the drywall about one inch on either side of the seam to avoid the "bump".
Spackle, tape, spackle... enjoy.
Why not just cut a slice from the side (height of slice is diameter of conduit), then just slide in the drywall from the side, and patch in the slice?

It is the exterior wall that is the problem, Drywall will not hold up. I've been thiking about the logistics of trying to patch around the conduit with Hardie. It is one reason I've considered the planks instead of 4x8 sheets. If I take the old wallboard off from around the elictric conduit what is the difficulty incutting a notch to fit around the conduit. I'm thinking I maight not need to disconnect the meter to do this,
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:38:02 -0400, "jstp"

".....Or you "could" just pull the meter to cut the power, and work quick. <g>"
Yeah and how do you explain the broken seal at the meter base when they come out and read it? Also having live buss bars behind the meter exposed is not a good idea
--
On My Way

Still safer than having a live panel hanging in the air.
I would lay odds that even if a seal was missing, few meter readers would even notice. Especially in a house without a wall <g>
AMUN
On My Way wrote:

You call the power company before you break the seal and tell them you need to pull the meter for a few hours. They will come put a new seal on it when you are done.
-Bob

They will also put a cover, and maybe a seal over the meter hole until they restore service.
another Bob

NO. You call the power company and have them drop power at the *pole*. If all you do is pull the meter, there are (as noted above by another poster) still live bus bars in the meter enclosure. NOT a good idea.

--
Regards,