Do any of the realtors use broadband as a selling point for homes?

Page 3 of 3
On 8/19/2012 3:44 AM, AaronL wrote:

Tests are fooled by what comcast calls "powerboost" . Basically the first part of a connection is allowed to go through at a much faster than your rated speed. So it fools the sppedtest sites and is great for bragging rights for people who don't realize what is happening.

Ah. that explains it then. I see Cox advertising something like that but didn't think about it affecting the speed test. Actually in everyday use I noticed little difference between my current Cox cable 15Mbs service and my former Century Link DSL 7Mbs service. Surprisingly with bundling (TV, phone, ISP) the Cox service was cheaper. Competition is good. :)

Good point. Like everything else an agent tells you, it's prudent to confirm the claim. Fortunately, that's not too hard.

service area. Considering that the house is in a part of the development that isn't yet built out (there are only two houses, of perhaps twenty, on my street). I was skeptical but Comcast confirmed, until I went to order service. Fortunately, AT&T had reasonable DSL service there. Hughes, with it's 250MB monthly cap, wasn't going to cut it. I had 3G service but it was really weak (often only available next to the window).
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 00:44:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Interestingly, my cell phone (4G, at least that's what it's claiming, currently):
Ping: 73msec Download: 1.91Mb Upload: 6.69Mb <==!!
On Sun, 19 Aug 2012 00:44:01 -0400, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

GA AT&T DSL: Ping: 53msec Down: 3.52Mb/sec Up: .28Mb/sec

Upload still sucks and often the SMTP server will simply time out when sending a large file.