DIY Radiant Heat System

I just finished putting in a Do It Yourself radiant heat (hot water) system in my bathroom, documented here:

Now my wife wants me to put one in her bathroom as well. I learned a few things along the way, but if you have the time, take a look and give me any suggestions you have for the next time, as I would rather not do dumb things twice, if possible.

Thanks. You can reply to this address, it's a spam address, but I'll check it for the next couple weeks.

Reply to
Miffed One

Looks okay but a couple of points.

1) did you leave any air space between the insulation and the copper tubing?

2) Soldering a copper line in an enclosed space is something I don't like to do.

You probably did okay with the copper, but for the future job, I consider using PEX. You also want to think about reducing the water pressure in the system. I think the system will last longer.

BTW, did you install any kind of check valve on the water supply line?

Reply to
HeatMan

Yeah. There's about 3 inches of "air space" below the tubing and above the insulation, and about 3 inches of "air space" above the tubing and the floor above.

Reply to
Miffed One

YOU ARE RUNNING POTABLE WATER THROUGH THIS SYSTEM WITH NO CHECKVALVE?

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

Oh...shit..thats almost funny, if it wasnt so sad.

Reply to
CBhvac

I'm sorry, I misunderstood.

The answer to your question is "no".

Reply to
Miffed One

My only thought was that I wondered why you pulled up the sub-floor? Why not just put tube over the sub-floor in a layer of mortar and set the tiles on top? Some drawbacks could be extra floor thickness and maybe you wanted to add extra insulation below - I guess.

I'm going to do my whole house (I'm in the middle of a major renovation) with a thin slab. I'm wondering what DYIs do? I want to minimize weight and thickness.

Thanks R

Reply to
R&D

Congratulations for completing the project. I have seen heated bathroom floor using electric mesh (net) underneath the tiles. I dont know which one is more (energy) efficient and conventional?

Iam still scared of soldering (lead) or welding. Once I get off that point (or get hold to the toys/tools) I may try.

Good Job.

Sam.

Reply to
sams