Disposing Unused Paint...

Howdy all. I have a few quarts of unused paint to get rid of. They are full quarts. If I leave the lids off of them will the paint eventually dry out? The trash will take unused paint so long as it's dried out.
-Chris

yes. Or, you could sell them at a garage sale.
Around here most communities have a hazardous waste depot and that's where you take paint
On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 21:11:58 -0500, "Alan McKay"

Around here the hazardous waste disposal sites will only accept paints that are in fact HAZARDOUS, water based paints are not accepted and you are advised to let them evaporate and let them be collected with your household waste (garbage).

barrels (when you mix multi-colors of latex, you get beige, no matter what colors you start with), and use it on park restroom interiors and such that basically have to be repainted several times a year to cover grafitti.
aem sends...

The local recycling place sells off the recycled latex paint in 5-gal buckets.
Good for priming new drywall before the real paint

For those things, our trash company has amnesty days where you can take them ANYTHING (except a dead body), and they will dispose of it. The nasty stuff like acetone, MEK, and that sort of stuff. I think they get federal $$$ for doing it, but we do get to drop the stuff off for free. Only downside is that you have to take it to their location. Call 'em.
Steve
Yes, if it's latex. If it's oil based paint your hazardous material disposal site should take it in liquid form.
RB
C.Swartz wrote:

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
C.Swartz wrote:

forgot to get them when getting out.. they will disappear real quick..
C.Swartz writes:

Hiya hoss.

Quarts? Not gallons?

Earth Day is coming up. Round these parts (Metro DC) the counties have an organized "hazmat drop-off" day in honor of the occasion.. Not just for hazmat materials but anything construction related, esp. paint.
True hazmat (lead paint, banned pesticides , solvents, etc) goes into the decon stream. Building materials which are reusable go into the reuse/remanufacture stream.
So before you dry/toss check out your local options.
If you must dry and trash the paint, non-clumping kitty litter is recommended to speed the process.
Best,
Marc
C.Swartz wrote:

What is the life span of paint? I also have over a gallon of Poly left over. THere is a copule of small rooms I plan to poly this summer. I kept the paint in hte original container with lid closed real tight. Am I an any danger?
pac

Danger? Not at all. I've had poly for a couple of years and it worked ok when I used it again. Ed

You can either listen to the fine folks here or just jump to http://www.earth911.org/master.asp?s=ls&a=Recycle&cat=1&serviceidfor info on getting rid of stuff like this in your local area.
Found the home link on the wooden paint-mixing sticks they give out at Home Depot, BTW.
AJS
Contact your local school and ask for the art department or teacher. I bet it will be put to good use.