display utility voltage?

Page 2 of 2

Todd wrote:

google is your friend
http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/06/07/rv-ac-voltage-monitor
Steve Barker wrote:

Not bad for $16.99.
If you really want to cheap it down pick up this multimeter from Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber899
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
jeff_wisnia wrote:

That's a good idea: Attach a male plug to the wires where the probes used to be.
But I'd like to second the Kill-A-Watt. You'll find many other uses for the device.
wrote Re Re: display utility voltage?:

Ditto on that.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

On Sat, 24 Oct 2009 19:48:45 -0400, jeff_wisnia

Standard multimeter - cheap as you can get, wired to a plug. Nasty if the wires come out of the meter, and definitely not "code compliant" like the UPM EM100
Steve Barker wrote:

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all the tips. I never would have thought to look in RV accessories. Now I have lots of choices, including pretty LED models. I am thinking that the analog with the red and green strips may just be perfect -- no math required.
Many thanks, -T
Smitty Two wrote:

--
Is 122 volts greater or less than 115?

By how much?
Smitty Two wrote:

Makes me remember where too high and too are.
Todd wrote:

Considering how low the R&D involved would be, sounds like a viable niche market here. A combo nightlight and analog voltage meter, with high and low markers like an old barometer.
I'd buy one. (as long as it wasn't over 20 bucks or so.)
-- aem sends...

You can get an el-cheapo multimeter almost anywhere these days. Plug it into an outlet and see if it reads between 115 and 125 Volts when power seems to be normal. Then just watch the meter whenever you want to turn on whatever it was that you mentioned in the OP.

If you have a modern UPS connected to your computer that talks to it through a serial port or USB connection, you ought to be able to set an alarm whenever your line voltage goes outside of parameters (of course, the UPS itself will probably beep when that happens and the UPS switches over to the inverter - unless you're one of those guys who has to have professional grade everything and you're using a "true online" UPS for your home PC...)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Buy a cheap meter, put lamp cord on it and plug it in. I bought a Weston 904 (lab grade back in the day) for $5 at a surplus place and it has been plugged in for 15 years.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Hi, That is very good idea. Very well built vintage meter you can hang on the wall like a clock. Will beat El Cheapo Chinese made plug in meters for sure.

triplett used to have one
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

I've got a fairly nice (expanded scale) one here made by VIZ, but I've had it for decades, so I have no idea whether they even exist any more.