Dishwasher--use it or lose it

Page 3 of 3

Charlie wrote:
Best wishes, Charlie.
--Winston
on 9/7/2009 5:42 PM (ET) Gary H wrote the following:

bring up costs for cooking, how about the gasoline to go get the food?
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Washing dishes. The food is this dishwasher's power source.

Well; even if it uses one kilowatt, continuously for 40 mins. which it does not, the cost here would be about 6 cents. But since that amount of electrical consumption is most unlikely one could estimate say a maximum of 3 to 4 cents, for electricity. And most likely less water usage than washing dishes by hand! My DW is run once about every 3 to 4 days; typically say twice to three times a week! So say ten cents a week, or approx. $36 - $40 per year?
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 19:32:00 -0700 (PDT), stan

You could say that, but ten cents a week is about 5 dollars a year.
On Thu 03 Sep 2009 08:05:44p, Charlie told us...

I'm very sorry for your loss, Charlie... You've gotten some good advice and good suggestions, but I'll add my two bits. :-)
First, I'll second the advice that if the dishwasher is not used periodically it will deteriorate in various ways.
We're a household of two, and usually run the dishwasher at least once daily. I don't like to wash anything by hand if I can avoid it, so pots and pans, along with the dishes and silverware go in, as well as the food bowls for our five cats. When all that's included it's usually a full load. On the weekends we usually cook more, so run perhaps two loads.
Aside from the normal things, *almost* anything around the house that you can wash by hand can be washed in the dishwasher and it does a better job. Periodically I gather up all the washable decorative objects around the house (crystal, porcelains, glass, silver, brass, etc.) and everything is beautifully clean. Some things I hand dry to avoid spotting. Note: do not put pewter objects in the dishwasher. Also, do not put dishes or porcelains with gold trim in the diswasher unless it's certified dishwasher safe. It can remove the gold. I also remove the upper rack and wash and sterilize our kitchen and bathroom trash cans.
Put it to good use, Charlie, and save yourself some work.
--
Wayne Boatwright
BTW, I read that putting a cellphone that's gotten wet or gone underwater, into a ziploc bag with a bunch of uncooked rice will draw the water out of the phone -- I'm sure of that -- and make the phone work some times. Might work for a machine washed keyboard too, although you'd need more rice. :)