Dishwasher--use it or lose it

Page 2 of 3

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 04:24:44 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

LOL

It could break tomorow it could last 15 years unused. Why waste hot water and electricity to wash a machine. I use mine about twice a year its 10 yrs old.

generally washing dishes by hand uses more water than dishwasher..........
just run full loads
sorry about your loss........

re: just run full loads
Sorry for your loss.
I know it might take some time to get to a full load, but check and see if your unit has a "rinse now - wash later" feature. We use ours on occasion when there won't be a full load for a while, but we don't want what we have to dry out/smell. It just uses a little water to rinse them until we're ready to do a full load.
As far as other uses for dishwashers, get a couple of these and put your DW to work even when you don't have any dirty dishes.
http://www.fitsmybudget.com/product.php?productid=25336
on 9/3/2009 11:05 PM (ET) Charlie wrote the following:

Sorry about your wife. Even though you are only using a few dishes and washing them by hand, the unused ones in the cabinet can become dusty over time. The dishwasher can be used for other than dishes. I once heard that it is good for washing baseball caps, if you are a collector, or have a bunch of them. There are a lot of other things that need a good cleaning once in a while and can't be put in a clothes washer because of possible damage to, or from, the washer.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 09:43:43 -0400, willshak wrote:

We had a renter use the dishwasher as a washing machine. It needed to be replaced after only 1 month of such use.
Mike D.

re: "It needed to be replaced after only 1 month of such use."
I hope the "it" was the renter.
You might think of running some vinegar in it when you do. That will help the pipes.
--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

re: "good for washing baseball caps"
As I posted ealier...
http://www.fitsmybudget.com/product.php?productid=25336
Charlie wrote:

Sorry for your loss Charlie.
Long ago my Mom stopped using the dishwasher to save money. When she went to use it again it had a leak. It was explained to me that there should always be some water in the bottom so the seal/seals don't dry out.
More recently I found myself alone and washed the dishes by hand and used the dishwasher as a rack for the dishes to dry. Now and then I'd do a little rinse cycle. It was still working when I sold the house.

I'd say it should probably be run once a month or more to keep seals from drying out, etc. I'm single and love the dishwasher. It really doesn't matter the family size, you just keep putting stuff in unitl you have enough to run it or you run out a particular iten, eg dishes.
I don't even do the rinse and hold cycle. I just place them in there and run it about 2X a week and the items come out clean 98% of the time.

He's right but why bother. I can wash my dishes by hand easier than I can load the dishwasher. When ours broke we just didnt get another. The place it was located is great storage for a slide out trashcan rack.
Jimmie

re: "I can wash my dishes by hand easier than I can load the dishwasher."
Really? I like to hear your process.
Mine is:
1 - Open door 2 - Insert dishes 3 - Add soap 4 - Close soap door 5 - Push button
And that's for a sink full of dishes from a 4 person dinner.

Me too. Aside from the fact that the dishwasher does a better job than me without glasses, or with fogged up glasses.

If it is hot I'll go a step further and push the delay button so it heats up the kitchen at 2am.
Jim
on 9/5/2009 10:38 PM (ET) DerbyDad03 wrote the following:

He has a one person dinner. Wash the few items by hand, rinse and place them in the dish rack, and use them again the next meal.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That is true for a fried egg or hot dog and beans, but when you have four mixing bowls, utensils, pots, etc, put the stuff for couple of meals together and push the button.
It is well documented that you use less water in a full machine than doing the equivalent by hand. With two of us, the machine is full and runs usually every other day, sometimes more.
on 9/6/2009 10:47 AM (ET) Ed Pawlowski wrote the following:

How about electricity? My dishwasher runs for 40 minutes, electrically heating the water and pumping it through the sprayers. Hands don't use electricity to run.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

-- aem sends...
[snip]

Hands aren't electrically powered themselves, but what about all the electricity used to prepare the food you eat?

As the OP I appreciate all of the responses and maybe we all learned a little from the post. I still find it easier for me to do the few by hand but may find other uses as suggested. At 86 I'm still active enough to not be in a nursing home but it may not be for long and I shouldn't be worried about a dishwasher. Thanks All