Dishwasher Leak

I recently had an electrical failure in the dishwasher and experienced a leak. I know that a dishwasher is supposed to fill only the basin and the water is then pumped up into the spray 'nozzles'. If the drain float or switch malfunctions and the water begins to rise above this level, should the door gasket be able to hold the water in? Or is watertight against spray but not against fill?
Tim
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Not watertite against overfill
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com writes:

Not watertight at all against overfill. On our dishwasher, the door doesn't even have a gasket at the bottom, and that's where the cold outside air enters during the dry cycle.
The dishwasher water supply valve should only be open long enough for the "right" amount of water to enter with normal water pressure. If you've got high water pressure, the float switch should shut off the water valve before the timer does.
    Dave